Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

switch drum to disc (rear)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switch drum to disc (rear)

Is there another except swapping the whole rear knuckles to get a drum to disc conversion...I mean is there a way like in the rotor over-hub swap.

Like just changing the rear hub and then purchasing rear rotors and calipers.

Is the bearring/hub assembly the same for a drum and a disc rear brake setup !!

Or maybe it would be less job to just swap knuckles
    You know kid...some day this war is gonna end (sob)... C.O Kilroy (Apocalypse Now)

you must use the rear disc knuckles, which has proper provisions for rear hubs/calipers/discs. thats the only way, and it bolts right up, its very easy. most people swap the entire rear suspension as a whole for the added benefit of an EX rear sway bar.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

It is also easier to just swap the whole suspension, control arms and all.

6 bolts per side vs. a bunch of more difficult ones if you change just the knuckle.

Took less than an hour to do mine, and we were just farting around.

Don't forget, you will also need the soft brake lines and the ebrake cables.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

cool i wanted to do this on my lx.

i was gona go to the savlage yard and yank some 92-92 ex rear spindels with the sway bar.
        back at it again

Comment

find a ex from 91-97 with rear disc. take off the whole suspention, yes the whole suspention. and swap over. its the easiest way.
          miss my turbo cb7
          moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
            find a ex from 91-97 with rear disc. take off the whole suspention, yes the whole suspention. and swap over. its the easiest way.
            I agree with it be the easiest way, but may not be the best decision if the junkyard/used components you swap include bad joints in the rear upper control arms, bad rear end-links if you swap the sway bar over as well, etc and/or brake lines with leaks. I personally would sort out the best components before touching anything (whether original or the soon to be transferred parts), then attack the project based on the best way after knowing all this. This is what makes the most sense to me, if you don't have time to do it right, you will to fix it later.
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i had really thought about this b/c i found a car at the salvage yeard the other day with some drilled and slotted rotors on it. they look good. just dirty. or maybe they were rusty. i couldnt tell b/c some drill and slotted rotors come in a bronze or gold color

but my main thing is that it seems like its more for looks than performance. if you got some nice rims on your car you can see the rear disc brakes rather than that big ol' huge drum. lol.

is there any gain from doing this other than astetics?

Comment

im getting a full lower suspention including drilled and slotted rotors for 50 bucks off my cusin
                miss my turbo cb7

Comment

i need disc in rear!!! i hate my drums
                  back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
                    find a ex from 91-97 with rear disc.
                    I would change this statement slightly.

Not all 1994-1997 Accords had the same rear knuckles or control arm spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                      I would change this statement slightly.

Not all 1994-1997 Accords had the same rear knuckles or control arm spacing.
                      entire rear suspension from a 92 sedan bolted up to a 95 sedan, i did it last weekend no problem.. not sure if there were any variations between 94-97. the control arms were spaced closer together with a shorter main longbolt on the 1992 parts, as compared to the original 1995 stuff... but if you swap the crossmember and everything as a whole, all of the bolt holes are in the same locations between the two cars.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                        entire rear suspension from a 92 sedan bolted up to a 95 sedan, i did it last weekend no problem.. not sure if there were any variations between 94-97. the control arms were spaced closer together with a shorter main longbolt on the 1992 parts, as compared to the original 1995 stuff... but if you swap the crossmember and everything as a whole, all of the bolt holes are in the same locations between the two cars.
                        x2 the disc setup i swapped onto my car was from a 95 cd. we ended up using a chop saw to shorten the long mount that goes between the control arms since i didn't have the whole cd crossmember (it was probably like an inch longer than the stock cb one). It worked out fine but you have to make a nice straight cut lol. otherwise everything else seemed the same. On another note my rear st swaybar mounted straight up to the cd trailing arm with no drilling
                        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                        Project 240SX
                        Originally posted by chillin943
                        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

ok so ur saying that i can put 91-97 ex rear disc and spindle easly.
                          back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by i-07
                            ok so ur saying that i can put 91-97 ex rear disc and spindle easly.

yes
                            miss my turbo cb7

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]

Yes, but they have to be prepared to change the entire subframe.

Considering the availability of 1992-1993 CB's in the junkyard, I wouldn't waste my time, unless you need the rear sway anyway.

Also the original statement didn't really specify subframe or not, and most people aren't going to think to grab it.

Comment

Working...
                              X