No announcement yet.

LCD monitor bugs my eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys should read up on refresh rate...lcd's dont refresh anything like a crt and the frequency should usually be set to 60. Crt monitors on the other hand can give you a headache if they are set that low. Any ghosting or afterimage you see on an lcd is inherent to the monitor itself and its pixel reponse time since the pixels are individually rendered/changed. More expensive lcds will of course have a much better response time (getting down below 9ms). I work at a commercial printer and we use both types of monitors for color matching in adobe suite to the actual output on the presses. I also use a crt and an lcd at home and find they both have their uses. You will definately see an image improvement using an lcd screen with a dvi port and compatible video card. Check this link on refresh rate if you guys want to get technical lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

edit:I recommend samsung lcd's for their high response time (especially if you are looking for a crt replacement). Also like mentioned running the lcd at it's native resolution will be the best bet, once you start stretching it out to other resolutions it may give you crappy quality and headaches lol. Definately check what resolutions the monitor is capable of running before purchasing and make sure your graphics card will support it.
    Last edited by blackice; 10-26-2006, 12:44 PM.
    Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
    Project 240SX
    Originally posted by chillin943
    anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
    Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Man, you people are nuts. LCDs are definitely the way to go. I have a Dell 20" widescreen at home and 18" and 19" setup at work. Simply awesome. I have much less eye fatigue and everything is nice and crisp. What I'd really like is a Dell 24" widescreen but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Comment

at 1280x1024 my crt would only go up to 60hz, i could never force it to 70 or 72... but still, ive always liked the picture better than my dads LCD (i forget the brand, but its a good one)

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Try playing online multiplayer games with an LCD.. I think my dads crappy one has like a 16ms or 12ms response time. I suck on his... but i own balls on mine.. go figure.

Comment

I should also add that wide screen is the best thing to come to computer displays in years. Even though a 20" 4:3 technically has more area than a 16:9, I find 16:9 provides more useful space.

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
              you do realize that you are wrong.

CRT's are just as common as LCD's, and will never DIE.

LCD shadowing for teh lose!

there is no computer store that I know of that have any crts anymore

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                You guys should read up on refresh rate...lcd's dont refresh anything like a crt and the frequency should usually be set to 60. Crt monitors on the other hand can give you a headache if they are set that low. Any ghosting or afterimage you see on an lcd is inherent to the monitor itself and its pixel reponse time since the pixels are individually rendered/changed. More expensive lcds will of course have a much better response time (getting down below 9ms). I work at a commercial printer and we use both types of monitors for color matching in adobe suite to the actual output on the presses. I also use a crt and an lcd at home and find they both have their uses. You will definately see an image improvement using an lcd screen with a dvi port and compatible video card. Check this link on refresh rate if you guys want to get technical lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

edit:I recommend samsung lcd's for their high response time (especially if you are looking for a crt replacement). Also like mentioned running the lcd at it's native resolution will be the best bet, once you start stretching it out to other resolutions it may give you crappy quality and headaches lol. Definately check what resolutions the monitor is capable of running before purchasing and make sure your graphics card will support it.

agree

yes set the screen refresh rate at 60....75 is bad for my eyes! hah

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
                  there is no computer store that I know of that have any crts anymore
                  are u serious???

i see them in fry's all the time...

Comment

There reason that you don't see them in stores so much anymore is because consumers are demanding LCDs and profit margins are higher. Its a simple as that. I think the average store, BB, CC etc. has like one 17" CRT and that's about it. Good luck finding a store that carries a $500 22" high-end CRT. Not only that, manufacturers are definitely moving away from producing CRTs as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824002091

That's an awesome monitor; I have one at work. But look at the price. Not many people demand anything like that anymore...form over function to some extent.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=19

newegg had quite a few, but youre right, best buy and circuit city dont have many
                      -Mark-
                      CB7
                      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                      X