AAARRGHH!!! Belt squeal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAARRGHH!!! Belt squeal!

Ok my car's ALT/AC belt has been squealing since I got the car. I tried replacing the belt, it only got worse. So then I tried adjusting the tension on it, only got worse. Then saturday I replaced that belt with a belt that only goes from the main pulley to the ALT, since my A/C is dead anyway. While I was doing that I even coated the back of the belts really good in some belt dressing, guess what? Still squeals! Tried adjusting the tension....still squeals!

I mean what am I going to have to do in order to get this thing to stop squealing?? Weld teeth onto the pulley and install a chain?? This is rediculous and I'm at the end of my rope with it. Anyway else ever had this won't-stop-sqealing problem?
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

Just play with your tension loosen it some, and if the squealing is worse, tighten it back up. Make sure your alternator is lined up with the crank pulley. I donno how it couldn't be though...

Comment

IS it constant? Or does it do it for a few min then goes away?

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I have what seems to be the same problem, I ended up replacing my alt belt since it looked worn but it continues to squeal like a stuck pig lol. haven't tried belt dressing yet but played with the tension screw a lot. If I push the clutch in and give it some gas (rolling or at a stop) then let the clutch out quickly just til it catches the thing will squeal every time. I'm pretty sure it's not the waterpump either because it only makes the noise when I give it some gas, no constant whine or rubbing noises...Is there any way the internals of the alternator would make that noise? I'm stumped too
        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
        Project 240SX
        Originally posted by chillin943
        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

it does it at first, then goes away after a while.
          I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Tighten a lil more and see what happens.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I don't think you're supposed to have to use belt dressing for serpentine belts, I'm pretty sure its mainly for V-belts. Unless of course you have like a shitload of grease on it. I use degreaser on my belt, and the squeaking goes away for a while. Then again, I have a leaking p/s pump so it doesn't go away for long.

Comment

serpentine belt? I have two seperate belts. One going from the main pulley to the PS pump, and another one going from the main pulley to the A/C and Alternator.

I don't even see any belt for a water pump, how do our water pumps work with no belt??

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                  I don't even see any belt for a water pump, how do our water pumps work with no belt??

WP is driven by the timing belt, pal

This one made me laugh.

gotta do it, cha-ching

Comment

spray it with WD-40...itll stop squealing. Plzz dont ask me to explain this...it works... its an old skool remedy. Itll work.

Comment

Dude check your crank pulley. I had that happen to me and I left it ignored, until the day came and the pulley bolt SNAPPED!!!!
                      Take the pulley off, clean the threads with the proper size tap, put engine oil on the threads, and torque to specs.
                      It's worth a try. Better than replace the crank pulley bolt. (you would have to drill it out, not fun)

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                        it does it at first, then goes away after a while.
                        I've heard of this situation with a couple different people. I'm convinced it's brand dependent. Switch to a different brand of belt, replace and reset the tension. Do make sure the tension is fairly tight. This is how the previous issues were resolved.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                          WP is driven by the timing belt, pal

This one made me laugh.

gotta do it, cha-ching
                          hmmm interesting....
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

yea try another brand belt...and when you install mess with the tension...on my car too tight squealed...and too loose squealed...gotta be just right
                            My Members Ride Thread

Comment

your prolly not tightening the belt enough or a bent pully belt dressing is just a temp fix for the problem its not supposed to be sprayed on while the thing is stopped only while running try changing out the alternator and checkin that odds are thats your problem pain in the ass but if you need one i have an extra

the build and demise
                              buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Working...
                              X