Running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running rich

I have this question, is running rich a bad thing for you motor, do you lose power, because a muffler shop told me that I'm running rich because my cat is different colors, and also If I have high compression, what's the best way to unleash this power

running "rich" or "lean" is bad for your car. What do you mean by unleashing high compression power? What's your compression ratio?
    RICE COOKA!!

Comment

Originally posted by 92DX
      running "rich" or "lean" is bad for your car. What do you mean by unleashing high compression power? What's your compression ratio?

To tell you the truth I don't really know about the compression, The honda junk yard guy who sold me the f20a , I had two choices, the f22a1 block, or the f20a, but then he said "I would go with the f20a block it has more compression",

I'm running rich that's what the muffler shop told me, what could I do to fix this problem

Comment

Originally posted by mr_adrenalin714
        To tell you the truth I don't really know about the compression, The honda junk yard guy who sold me the f20a , I had two choices, the f22a1 block, or the f20a, but then he said "I would go with the f20a block it has more compression",

I'm running rich that's what the muffler shop told me, what could I do to fix this problem
        check your fuel pressure PSI....is shouldn't be OVER 40 PSI....a safe PSI is around 35 PSI....if your running over 40 you should try LOWERING the PSI on your fuel pressure!

try that!

UNLESS you have a high flow fuel pump and high cap injectors..then you would be ok!...

but if you're running stock Fuel components...then you should consider looking into your fuel pressure...make sure its not HIGH!

not sure...but check with other members who have MORE insight on fuel pressure!

they can probably help you more on that issue IF im missing anything!
        92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
        My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

im running high fuel pressure but its not high enough I have a fpr with all the little mods and stuff . I rather be just rich not too rich or be too lean that shit is dangerous for our motors. Our hondas tend to be rich from the factory anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
            im running high fuel pressure but its not high enough I have a fpr with all the little mods and stuff . I rather be just rich not too rich or be too lean that shit is dangerous for our motors. Our hondas tend to be rich from the factory anyways.

really??? I didn't know F22s run rich from the Birth canal mayne!
            92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
            My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7
              really??? I didn't know F22s run rich from the Birth canal mayne!
              The thing is that I don't have a f22, I have a f20a sohc

Comment

which ecu do you have? is it the jdm f20a(dont know much about f20's)

some ecu's just run rich.

and no, running rich or lean is not exactly bad for your engine. it depends on your setup and where you want to be and what you consider rich or lean.

if youre running rich, you're just getting bad gas mileage and cleaning out your plugs, lol. unless you're super pig rich, theres no harm done. the only thing bad from it is that you prolly wont pass emmissions if you have any.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                  which ecu do you have? is it the jdm f20a(dont know much about f20's)

some ecu's just run rich.

and no, running rich or lean is not exactly bad for your engine. it depends on your setup and where you want to be and what you consider rich or lean.

if youre running rich, you're just getting bad gas mileage and cleaning out your plugs, lol. unless you're super pig rich, theres no harm done. the only thing bad from it is that you prolly wont pass emmissions if you have any.
                  Well I'm running an f20a, with f22 part's is it rich or lean if my cat is different colors, even though I'm running the f22's ecu
                  Last edited by mr_adrenalin714; 06-21-2006, 01:44 AM. Reason: left things out

Comment

im not sure about the color of ur cat...could be related to high temps, could be lean? ummm running rich isnt too bad....u just lose some mpg and a bit of power if ur too rich. u just dont wanna be running too lean!

h22sparkle- "Our hondas tend to be rich from the factory anyways." how the heck do you figure this???? pretty sure they run stoich......

Sean
                    F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
                    Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

Originally posted by SMseagren83
                      im not sure about the color of ur cat...could be related to high temps, could be lean? ummm running rich isnt too bad....u just lose some mpg and a bit of power if ur too rich. u just dont wanna be running too lean!

h22sparkle- "Our hondas tend to be rich from the factory anyways." how the heck do you figure this???? pretty sure they run stoich......

Sean
                      it depends on the ecu. shit, you know corys h22 is super rich! just look at his bumper, lol.

and yea, there is no way that hondas come out rich from factory. i mean, cmon, theyre HONDA, economy! I dont think running rich is economical.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                        it depends on the ecu. shit, you know corys h22 is super rich! just look at his bumper, lol.

and yea, there is no way that hondas come out rich from factory. i mean, cmon, theyre HONDA, economy! I dont think running rich is economical.
                        Haha, actually for the past few months my car hasn't been running rich at all, no more stuff on the bumper. I suspect maybe the carbon deposits finally burned off, especially since I got the new exhaust (no leaks and bad cat yay). Also on the subject of jdm engines running rich, the fuel octane rating over there is much higher. I'm really curious if the fuel/ignition maps for a usdm f22ax(or h22ax) vs the jdm variant is any different. The compression is obviously a bit higher on jdm engines so I would think they would be more susceptible to carbon buildup on our low octane fuel (unclean burn).

Also I'm not sure if this applies to the f22a(f series engines don't have knock sensors right? )but the low octane could possibly trigger the knock sensor thus causing retarded timing and less gas mileage. I think I might do an experiment with 87 octane and 91, run a full tank of each (resetting the ecu each time) and see what kind of gas mileage and performance I get.
                        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                        Project 240SX
                        Originally posted by chillin943
                        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

JDM ECU's tend to run Rich. Running lean is good to an extent. Leaner your car makes more power....the only problem is how long it will last before you mess something up. Rich is on the safe side but too much gas will fuck your engine over and it will be dirty. If its slight rich then its ok. If its excessive such as low fuel mileage and such I would get your fuel system checked out or see if your plugs are providing enough spark to ignite the mixture in the engine.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                          X