No announcement yet.

axel fell apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, Autozone often sells garbage. My friend and I have gone through 3 different starters for his car in the past 2 weeks. The current one works most of the time...

Comment

Lol @ these responses.

No, you don't have to get a new axle. This exact thing happened to me when I first started doing suspension.

You just have to play with the bearings to line them up and it will go back together. It will be easier to remove the axle and do it.
      COUPE K24

Comment

I thought I would finish this thread by saying

I ended up calling a tow truck. the tow truck driver played with the axle and it simply wouldn't go back in. He had to tow the car with only 3 wheels to a local shop.

Without any appointment the shop tried to repair the original axle and ended up having to replace it. They reassembled the shock too.

25$ for a shock
        58$ to the tow truck driver
        192$ for the shop to fix my mistake

This is why I hate working on cars.

Comment

Wow.
          You can buy a new axle on Ebay for $40 shipped. Should of got it towed back to your place.
          Btw, you shouldnt hate working on cars, its an older Accord and its going to have issues. Just read. There are so many Honda forums with so much knowledge out there.

Comment

You could have found a mobile shade tree mechanic who works out of a trunk on Craigslist in your area.
            It could have been cheaper this way.

I took a chance on such mechanic one time long time ago, because I didn't have time to do the work on my car back then.
            I had to go over what he did afterwards, and found some things to get corrected. But, overall it worked out well for me.
            Last edited by oyajicool; 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM.
            A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              Dude the axle end just pops out of the transmission. You just need to pry between the trans and the axle with a prybar or large screwdriver. Obviously you have the tools to do this since you already took the car apart far enough to get to it.

Also, you need a 32mm socket to remove the axle nut. You can pick that at the store if you get an axle.

Otherwise, keep trying to put the axle together. You have the power of the internet at your fingertips, and a couple members posted DIY vids for you. DO WORK SON
              Just to correct, I'm pretty sure ours are 36 mm.
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

^Yes, def. a 36mm front, 32mm rear. I never had a problem rebuilding the inner joint, I have a honda reman. axle w/ over 100K miles on it, the inner joint was a DIY boot replacement/rebuild. I think it would have been easiest to pull the axle from the car and just remove the boot to really see what you're lining up.

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                  Wow.
                  You can buy a new axle on Ebay for $40 shipped. Should of got it towed back to your place.
                  Yea I highly doubt ebay would have shipped it next day and then installed it for me so I could go to work.

I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing then risk crashing my vehicle due to others thinking I should repair it myself.

Comment

If that is the case, why did you even started to work on your own car in the first place?
                    A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                      If that is the case, why did you even started to work on your own car in the first place?
                      The original reason was replacing his shock, nothing to do with the CV.
                      He knew what he was doing, just not how to fix the CV . . .

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I don't think he knew what he was doing otherwise that joint wouldn't have come apart.
                        Having said that, shit happens as well.
                        Last edited by oyajicool; 05-30-2013, 01:57 AM.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

I don't think he knew what he was doing otherwise that joint wouldn't have come apart.
                          Having said that, shit happens as well.
                          Yea shit does happen sometimes, That doesn't mean he didn't know how to change a shock.
                          No need to basically tell him he should have never do the job in the first place.

He came here for advice on how to fix his dis-jointed CV, It's not like it's an uncommon thing to happen.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Most of us (including me) gave him that advise telling him it's not that difficult job to fix that joint.
                            In the end, he replied:
                            I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing then risk crashing my vehicle due to others thinking I should repair it myself.
                            What am I to think???

Oh, well.....
                            A&P-IA

Comment

I agree with this. If he is confident enough to try a shock change out. It should be just as easy to change out an axle.

But I also see the point of not having the part on hand, and needing it done asap.

Either way I hope it gets fixed properly.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                              BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                              Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                              CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Once that 36mm nut is off, changing an axle is a breeze.
                                To be a shade tree mechanic is wasy these days with all the Youtube videos on everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X