Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bizarre engine behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre engine behaviour

Okay, this might take a while. Please bear with me!

I drive and pick up a couple friends (all of maybe 5 kilometers) and the engine is running great, and started up perfects with NO hesitation.
    When I get to my second friends house, I turned off the car.
    Less than 5 minutes later, we're ready to leave. I get back in the car, and crank the engine; it fires up on the first try, runs for about 2 seconds (in neutral....I didn't stall it...) and then dies.
    This has never happened before (I've owned it for about 5 weeks now), so I look over at my friend like "wtf...?".
    I sit there for a while, and try and start the car again...and again...and again. Nothing, for a good 2 minutes, even though the engine sounds just like it does when it normally fires up.
    So now I'm crapping my pants with fear, and I go and pop the hood...'cause I don't know what else to do, and being confused and stupid (but wanting to look like I know wtf I'm doing in front of the ladies) I checked the oil (which was low), get back in the car, turn the key...VROOOM we have lift-off!!! First try, as if it was brand new.
    Drove around and stuff for a few hours, and it would start up puuurrrrfect every time it needed to, hot or cold, whatever!

So... what the ba-jesus happened?!!? Am I gonna need a new dizzy? Alternator? Spark plugs? Starter thingy? Fuel pump?
    I asked my dad (who owns a CB9) and he says that once or twice a year his car does this...I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone else. Any opinions, tips, etc are HUGELY appreciated! Thanks!

-Cats
    1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

I don't know a whole lot about these cars, so I don't know if there are any common problems that would cause that, but it sounds to me like it might be fuel related. .. If it was your alternator/battery it probably wouldn't have fired up after so many attempts, because the battery would have been dead. If it was your plugs/wires/etc it probably would not have worked either, as those are generally progressive problems, rather than intermittent.. Same goes for sensors, unless you've got a loose wire somewhere. My recommendation is to first verify that there are no loose sensor wires or vacuum lines, and then check your fuel system .. . Oh, and read this sticky: Technical // ** TROUBLE-SHOOTING GUIDE **

Comment

Thanks for the theories diluted. I'll try and do as much of that list as I can.
      1991 Honda Accord EX (Canadian)

Comment

Sounds like your main relay is acting up. check this out. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=main+relay
        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
        Project 240SX
        Originally posted by chillin943
        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
          Sounds like your main relay is acting up. check this out. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ght=main+relay
          YES. Reading that link, it definitely sounds like that is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cats_on_ice
            Am I gonna need a new dizzy? Alternator? Spark plugs? Starter thingy? Fuel pump?
            no. those parts don't work again once they have gone bad.

it's probably the main relay, as mentioned above, or something like a clogged fuel filter. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

+1 on the main relay.

Comment

+1 on the main relay they are $70 at the local parts stores around here. Also the distributor has a tendency to have this same problem. Mine did it for a while and then just quit on me, that sucked.

Comment

Working...
                X