Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

If you really want to mess yourself up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you really want to mess yourself up...

Has anyone else tried this?

If you really want to mess up your ability to drive your manual tranny CB7, go drive an '03 BMW 325i with a stick shift, then try to drive your stick Accord right afterwards. The clutches are about as opposite as clutches can be.

A friend let me drive her Bimmer maybe a dozen times... every single time I would have a tough time to start in the BMW, then I'd get back in my Accord and couldn't work the clutch.

I'm a fairly "finesse" guy with a clutch, I try to synch it so you can hardly tell I shifted. My mechanic said my clutch looked almost new at 70,000 miles.

But with the BMW, using the same approach leaves you stalled at a stop sign... the BMW just doesn't appreciate finesse. Don't try to "synch" anything, just mash it and go... very stiff pedals, very high/abrupt engage... It forced me to be more aggressive and quick off the line - the smoother I tried to be in the BMW, the worse it got.

I didnt try it with a BMW.. but I drove my buddies 02 Porsche GT2 a few days ago, and I stalled the first time because it seemed like it wanted a bit more gas than I was used to. I guess it was the extra power/torque compared to the s2k. Not to mention, the Porsche clutch you are able to push down for like 20" to the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by do2mind
      Has anyone else tried this?

If you really want to mess up your ability to drive your manual tranny CB7, go drive an '03 BMW 325i with a stick shift, then try to drive your stick Accord right afterwards. The clutches are about as opposite as clutches can be.

A friend let me drive her Bimmer maybe a dozen times... every single time I would have a tough time to start in the BMW, then I'd get back in my Accord and couldn't work the clutch.

I'm a fairly "finesse" guy with a clutch, I try to synch it so you can hardly tell I shifted. My mechanic said my clutch looked almost new at 70,000 miles.

But with the BMW, using the same approach leaves you stalled at a stop sign... the BMW just doesn't appreciate finesse. Don't try to "synch" anything, just mash it and go... very stiff pedals, very high/abrupt engage... It forced me to be more aggressive and quick off the line - the smoother I tried to be in the BMW, the worse it got.

you would think the luxury inspired car would shift smoother haha

Old Ride-New Ride

Comment

I dunno when I drove the older bmw (5 series) overseas it wasnt that bad DUnno if its any different with the newer ones.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I've never had a problem, i drive them somewhat often too from my work... I agree it is tricky with the stiff pedals though

Comment

i started with a 02 lancer, it was ok just clutch was very sensitive. then my uncle gave me his 91 323 that was very easy to drive, and the clutch never died. the accord is going to have a 5spd this winter put into it.
            miss my turbo cb7
            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

It takes some getting use to. Not all cars drive/shift the same way, just gotta find that sweet spot. But after, shifting should be silky smooth.

Comment

even our cb7s are different I drove a 92 coupe ex and it felt alot different than my 93 ex

Sold as of 12-16-06

My Ride
                DIY: Painting E-Brake Button

91 Honda Accord Coupe EX F22A4 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by accord-racing
                  even our cb7s are different I drove a 92 coupe ex and it felt alot different than my 93 ex
                  depends on what clutch you have but also your engagement height. my clutch is super stiff if i put the engagement up high but with a little more play it's pretty easy to push on (i'm running a stage 2 centerforce btw)...check this out http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=adjust+clutch
                  Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                  Project 240SX
                  Originally posted by chillin943
                  anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                  Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

I figured it out! It's a combination of two things...

First, my dad taught me to be very smooth with a clutch by blending the clutch and gas into each other. Second, I'm guessing the flywheel of a BMW is lighter, but the car is heavier. There's two things that keep the engine turning as the clutch starts to engage... the flywheel, and giving it more gas.

So when I did the same revs and medium clutch letout speed that I'd use with my stock CB-7, I'd choke with the BMW because I didn't have that heavy Honda flywheel to keep things moving.

Up until now I always thought that was weird... obviously her car had more horses, why would it stall?... I thought maybe BMW "tuned" their cars to force drivers to be more aggressive, some kind of macho thing. Now (I think) I know it's an actual performance issue, and that makes much more sense
                    Last edited by do2mind; 12-01-2006, 05:16 AM.

Comment

BlackIce, it sounds like you've got your clutch adjusted very similarly to that of the BMW I've driven, and the Porsche aero mentioned. Do you run a light flywheel? Is your style to just rev it up, pop the clutch and go (3/4 of a second)??? Or do you try to "blend" the clutch and gas together more gradually (a second and a half or so)???
                      Last edited by do2mind; 12-01-2006, 05:32 AM.

Comment

i do valet on the week ends and some peoples cars suck i wonder how they drive them

Ride List
                        1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                        2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                        newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Working...
                        X