raced a ford Lightning in my turbo diesel RAM 2500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raced a ford Lightning in my turbo diesel RAM 2500

I'll keep this short, I came across a red lightning today on a main rd here in orlando (SR-436 for the locals) and I was in my 6spd Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel 2500.

we Raced twice. He flew by me when I was driving, so I downshifted and took off after him, when I caught up to him he was crusing pretty fast 65MPH in a 50, so I backed off a bit, (not wanting to race at high speeds in the area I was in, and then I boosted from 50 MPH to about 75 and FLEW by him boosting and gaining speed rapidly. I saw him start to come up on me, so I slowed down alot, and he passed me. Finally he got the Idea, and I caught up to him going about 35mph, alrready in 4th gear. As we were going the same speed, I slow behind him a bit, and NAILED the gas, so he could see my move and react so we were both flooring it when we got side by side, I managed to chirp the tires into 5th! and he pulled on me as soon as I shifted, but as I wound out 5th, I began to pull up to his ass end, then 6th gear came, and we must have changed gears (or his automatic did, as I believe all of them are auto) at the same time, because when I shifted, I stayed right on his ass, But as I began to build boost in 6th he started to drift away again, this time getting almost a car length on me. by this time we were going almost 75mph, and I was ready to let off, but I had gotten to my sweet spot, upon hitting 70, I guess it was design to have the best acceleration at passing speed, and I was able to pull up to his rear bumper, but after I hit 80, my powerband started to die, I let off before I hit 90, and he was by then a car length or 2 ahead of me.

We came to a light, and he seemed like he wanted to run from a dig, So I switched into 4 high, and revved the shit out of my engine, and nailed it when the light turned green, I had him for the first half of a second on the launch, but when I had to shift 3 times in like 5 seconds, He was GONE, at least 4 cars ahead of me.

From a roll, I was very suprised how much I could keep up with a llghtning in my 5000 pound truck.

My mods are: K&N Intake, Edge CPU, MBC, and muffler replaced with a straight pipe.

Not much done to my truck, but the edge cpu will add 30 - 90 HP depending on intake/exhaust/injectors. I have it on stage one, which is 30hp gain, For intake exhuast. I know it's a pretty good chip, as it keeps the truck running a good A/R i think. I can't be sure, but it gets GREAT mileage, and can romp on a non-swapped or non-boosted honda anyday, and even 80's American v8's like the monte carlo or camaro or el camino

The only reason I kept up with the lightning is from 4th to 6th gear, I pull some serious power, I could probably walk an older mustang from 4th to 6th gear but only in my sweet spot

All in all, Im impressed, I'm not so sure my MBC works right because its the stock wastegate, so I think it would only be keeping it open longer? or something, I've only gotten 29 lbs max and I think stock is 27

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but a MBC can only really lower the boost on a turbo with an internal wastegate right?????????

First thing I need to do is get a real exhaust and downpipe, because all those hot gases are draining me of power, I imagine with a full 4 inch turbo back exhaust I could easily gain 50 WHP from stock with everything else.

So yeah, I lost, by alot for the most part, but Its a 4x4 giant beast not a race car. And also for the record, I've raced a few f250 turbo diesels, and I walk all over them everytime.

My truck is a single cab extended bed forest green 4x4 with the cummins transmission and the rare cummins extra heavy duty clutch. I got the whole cummins setup, not the shitty dodge tranny.

I've ran my truck in the 1/4 mile before, and I pulled a 17.4 its too heavy of a truck for that kind of race, but its so damn fast once it starts moving
    ]

as unreliable as they are, you would have done much better with the auto tranny that comes bolted to the 24valve. with the manual tranny, as im sure you know, your power band ranges from about 2k to 3.5k with tiny gears lol. leaving you at a pretty large disadvantage, compared to his huge gears, and revving to 6000.

id still rather have the 6 speed though
    Last edited by noobcake; 02-24-2010, 04:14 AM.

Comment

dont use all 6 gears? maybe it would be faster? take off in second bang 4th, 5th, 6th?

i dunno....
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

The Dodge is an awesome truck.

Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you get when you're taking it easy?

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
          The Dodge is an awesome truck.

Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you get when you're taking it easy?
          well, theres taking it easy, and theres dave's version of taking it easy LOL

But, If I drive it like an econo-freak in a prius, I get just about 19 city 21 highway.

But with my natural driving just cruising, i get about 16/17 city and 19/20 highway. which is still pretty good.

If I really need to go far and don't have alot of gas, I get 23mpg @ 58mph on cruise control.

The holset is coming off that truck, and so are the rims and tires, Once I get a decent sized turbo on there combined with a set of much bigger rims and tires, my gear ratios will be longer, especially 2nd and 3rd. With the right size turbo and a good turbo back exhaust, I could easily push 500 whp and be able to use it from 1st gear at its fullest potential. As of right now, I don't use 1st gear, its pointless. Its for towing, but with an oversized wheel set 1st will be useable again. I have a set of 18" moto-metal rims. As soon as my carpet comes in for my cd5 Im putting it up for sale, and buying tires with my credit card. Maybe 2 weeks?

heres what rims I have I think these are 19" or 20" http://www.truck-toyz.com/picrequests/166-6687_img.jpg

This is the rim and tire size Im using http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0015_large.jpg

I got them for a sick fucking deal on ebay normally they are 1200$ minimal, I got em used and shipped for 375
          ]

Comment

my dad made 492 on a stock turbo.

Comment

Theres a fucking powerstroke around here making a cunt hair under 1k tq. But I would rather be cummin than strokin. Or Ram the daughter, Dodge the father.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Dave View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but a MBC can only really lower the boost on a turbo with an internal wastegate right?????????
                With an MBC you can only raise boost from stock (or whatever your wastegate is set for). The only thing to watch for is boost creep as the stock wastegate actuator usually starts fluttering and spiking after you add more than say 5 psi...
                Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                Project 240SX
                Originally posted by chillin943
                anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Working...
                X