Nissan 240SX Problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan 240SX Problems!

My buddy has a 1993 240SX DOHC. (ka24de) and it overheated the other night.

He's also in the monarchy, so hes a really good buddy of mine, so i of course offered to help him out. Overheating problem? No sweat I said, I have a mark 3 supra. I know about overheating problems...

fuck, we replaced damn near the whole cooling system, and it still overheats on the freeway.

replaced the radiator

replaced the thermostat

replaced the waterpump

bleed the cooling system of air.

the fan and fan clutch works.

it STILL overheats.

the oil is healthy, not milky or anything, so no blown headgasket.

the exhaust does emit steam and leaks water.

My dad is saying that the catalytic converter is clogged, making the car overheat.

can any one help me out, and point me in some kidna direction. I dont want my friend putting out all that money for another part, if its not needed.

Oh, and SOMETIMES, VERY RARELY, it will stall, like if im coming off of the freeway with the clutch engaged, the rpms will dip, and stall, and upon start up, the idle will dip, almost to the point where it will stall, then it will be fine.

help?

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Man do I hate Nissans when shit happens
    wat?

Comment

is there a definte loss of power?

i suggest a leak down test before you go any further in throwing money down the drain. also check timing. had a similar issue at work with a nissan where timing had jumped a couple of teeth on the timing chain and was causing to overheat very fast.
      Members Ride

Comment

hg

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

damn dude. am the king of overheating. LOL. i both overheated my cars. so i would know. a catalytic converter making it overheat? i learned something new

Comment

I have an idea Danny.

(Woot, I have that strut tower brace... LOL.)

How many miles are on that car? It could be so many things its not even funny, sometimes those engines just dont want to work anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dv8
              I have an idea Danny.

(Woot, I have that strut tower brace... LOL.)

How many miles are on that car? It could be so many things its not even funny, sometimes those engines just dont want to work anymore.

its got about 90K

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

God my brother has a '96, and I'm his mechanic but I've NEVER had that problem.

He needs to search other 240SX forums, I've found answers for the most insane problems by just searching over and over. Could be the cat, maybe head gasket.....hard to say.
                1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

It could definitely be a clogged cat. I worked on a an MKIII supra that used to overheat all the time. It was so plugged the car would actually bog. Problem disappeared with a new cat....
                  Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                  Project 240SX
                  Originally posted by chillin943
                  anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                  Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

it was the fucking fan shroud

the fan shroud on that car has two halves. We only put the top half on, because its easier to install that way(i just learned, never do this or cut corners)

we're putting the bottom half on today

theres still a chance that it still MIGHT overheat

but

ive been told, 100 percent fan shroud....

I thought the fan shroud was there to keep your fingahs from gettin cutz....

Comment

wtf, wow.

Its always those small things that get ya.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                        wtf, wow.

Its always those small things that get ya.

yeah tell me about it.

but yo, just incase it does get hot, im going to assume that its a headgasket (although we havent replaced the cat.)

but if it was the headgasket, wouldnt it overheat and stay hot?

the car only gets hot when we get off the freeway, we'll turn on the heater and it will go back down to normal, and we'll turn the heater off when we get on the freeway. and it will stay normal..??

when i had a bhg on my supra, once it got hot, it stayed hot.

this car gets hot, then gets cold..

help.

lol

Comment

Unbolt the cat and take it for a ride.

Do it somewhere where not many cops are around. I know you live in Cali, one of the worst places to have a loud exhaust.

Comment

it was the t stat.

appearently, testing it in a pot of boiling water isnt the same as when its in the fucking car.

i was pwned by the thermosthat...

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7

i was pwned by the thermosthat...
                              DEVOTE

Comment

Working...
                              X