Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling the Volvo... hopefully... Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling the Volvo... hopefully... Now what?

Ok, I tried something Swedish and wasn't impressed. I think it's time to go back to Japanese.

I'm doing away with my RWD or AWD criteria. It's just too hard to find a nice practical car that gets good gas mileage, isn't overpriced, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair with those attributes.

I've determined what I NEED... and what I want. Those lists overlap a bit... I drive A LOT, so I need something that I actually like. That means some of the things that seem a little less important hold a little more weight.

So, things I absolutely NEED:

Good gas mileage: 25mpg minimum. Preferably about 28mpg combined (like my CB7)

Reliability. I put 9000 miles on my CB7 since last October, and that was working part time. I'm getting heavier into this work now, and I need something that will withstand that beating!

Affordability. I can't break the bank buying my next car. I went a bit overbudget with the wife's car, and though I'm making decent money, bills are kicking my ass. $3000 is probably my ceiling.

Easy/Cheap to repair. I can't go shelling out a million bucks for every little part that breaks! I also don't want the car to be down for 3 weeks while I try to figure out what's wrong. Finally, if I need to take it to a shop, I don't want to pay outrageous prices for labor (Volvo shops charge like $100 an hour... My stepfather's Chrysler dealership, on the other hand, charges about 2/3 that!)

Comfortable. With me sitting in that car for up to 10 hours and 320 miles a day, I can't tolerate something uncomfortable!

Things I want:

Manual transmission. Better on gas, usually, and often more reliable. Replacing a clutch is easier than working on an auto as well. Plus, its more fun to drive!

Responsive handling. My CB7 is nice. It handles well. However, I'd like something different. Something with a little more zip to it.

Power. Ok, I'm spoiled. I have a 200+hp engine in my 2800lb car. Something with considerably less power per pound (like my 114hp, 3000lb Volvo) just won't do. I don't need a racecar... just something that can get out of it's own way!

Looks. Ok, I'm vain. I can't drive a shitbox. My CB7 doesn't look amazing, but I don't look at it and shudder either (well, right now, with 2 steelies and a coating of salt... I do... but not because the car itself is ugly!)

Aftermarket support. I don't really plan on modding my second car... but I can't say I won't. It's in my blood now.

Build quality. I'm a snob. I drive an Accord, which is considered a real luxury car in many countries. I just can't enjoy a Civic, or anything in the same class. I know those little cars are better on gas, but I just can't...

I'm stuck... I know what fits just about every criterion there, and it's driving me nuts. I KNOW the CB7 is quite possibly the BEST car for my needs... and I DO love the model. I just want something different, if I can find it! I might pick up a 5 speed CB9... that MIGHT be different enough. Same handling characteristics though (but better brakes )

Well its not RWD or AWD, but check into getting a camry

I'll post up some more once i think of em'

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

In my opinion I would look for the following:

These are cheap can derive some power and perfect commuter.

1.) Infiniti G20t P10 (SR20de) or sentra - my old car
      ^^^meets your requirements: manual, luxury, cheap, japanese, efficient.....
      2.) 93-98 VW Golf or Jetta...
      3.) Mazda Protege or Miata...
      4.) 1st gen DSM - AWD and Factory Turbo!

Comment

Have you thought about anything like a toyota mr2, mazda mx5 or mazda mx3?
        Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
        Project 240SX
        Originally posted by chillin943
        anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
        Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

G20 is something I've considered. Sentra is a little Civic-ish...
          Golf/Jetta... kinda cheapie, and not cheap to repair (not like Hondas, anyway). Plus, I've known more VWs with problems than not!
          Protege=Civic... Miata would be awesome, but impractical. I've considered that, and been talked out of it
          DSM... too hard to find one that hasn't been pounded on. I DO want a Galant VR4, but they're expensive... and gas mileage isn't superb on AWD turbo cars!

Camry... I dunno... they just bug me. No personality. I wouldn't mind a Solara, but I don't think I could find one worth owning for my budget!

Comment

Get another stock cb, keep that sell your h22 swap and go turbo with the one your gonna buy and put a stock motor back in the one that had the h22 and just drive it with no mods at all. Thats what i plan to do.

Comment

MX3 is trash... nearly sold the CB7 for one before I woke up MX5 is too impractical (AccordWarrior spent a week talking me out of that idea... not to mention, they're pretty pricey for a decent one). MR2 is a possibility. NA would probably be necessary, though... which would always kinda bug me (same with a 300zx... another one I would like)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                Camry... I dunno... they just bug me. No personality. I wouldn't mind a Solara, but I don't think I could find one worth owning for my budget!
                Ow? My Toyota pride?

hey deev, get an FC

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

something like one of these mr2 maybe?
                  http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/car/270925216.html
                  http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/car/270052671.html
                  http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/272368068.html

I'm sure you could find one that's a bit newer and in better condition for around 3000.
                  Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                  Project 240SX
                  Originally posted by chillin943
                  anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                  Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

I've seen many 91-95 legends and Vigors anywhere between 3000-4000. Also 96-98 CL for around the same. The legend and vigor would be very similiar to the accord in many ways but on a grander scale with the right options and the V6 legend or 5 cylinder vigor should have plent of oomph but mileage wise I dont know? The 4 banger CL with a stick is not a race car but moves pretty good I have test drove a couple of these with my girlfriend and it is a decent car better than the integra in my opinion seems more solid.

Comment

an MR2 would be a great car for deev, possibly an SW20. The non turbos arent that expensive last time i checked.

problem solved thanks to Mr. Toyota

Toyota FTW

Comment

Originally posted by prelude2finale
                        I've seen many 91-95 legends and Vigors anywhere between 3000-4000. Also 96-98 CL for around the same. The legend and vigor would be very similiar to the accord in many ways but on a grander scale with the right options and the V6 legend or 5 cylinder vigor should have plent of oomph but mileage wise I dont know? The 4 banger CL with a stick is not a race car but moves pretty good I have test drove a couple of these with my girlfriend and it is a decent car better than the integra in my opinion seems more solid.

not AWD or RWD FTL

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote]

"I'm doing away with my RWD or AWD criteria."

Dont "you" mean FTL LOL!

Comment

I don't really need RWD or AWD anymore... they just aren't practical enough, really. I drive on some winding, hilly areas... and doing so in a little sports car in the snow might be a bad thing!

The older MR2s are nice, but I think they might be a little too old. 92-95 is about as old as I want to get. I DID almost trade the Volvo for an old MR2 though! I was a week too late. The guy would've traded.

Comment

i know you hate to hear it as much as i hate to say it but, just go out and find yourself a cheapy civic hatch or crx or something. im tired of you vehicular woes. its killin me, crx= low displacement, lightweight, and totally capable. and not obscenely slow **cough** volvo **cough cough**

-sean
                              Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                              Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Working...
                              X