Wireless AP detection questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless AP detection questions

I'm kind of a newb to wireless, and now have a BELKIN 802.11 PCM card in my laptop. I have the driver installed, but here are my questions:

Do I need AP detection software to find/utilize any available unsecured APs?

Does anyone have a link for a FREE program that'll allow me to use my wireless setup to scan, aquire, and utilize unsecured APs?
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

wish i could help, my laptop had one already IS it g? or the faster one?
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

haha noobs helping noobs, what is this site coming to? you should have asked me man. check this out http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ thats one of the more popular wifi scanners we used for wardriving at college lol. there are also some programs like airsnort that can monitor wifi connections and look for network passwords....i'm guessing you have a g card right now because a is crappy and outdated imo (same goes for the b spec but g is backwards compatible ). the newest n spec at 108 supposedly hasn't really been widely accepted as a standard or ratified as one or whatever, plus there aren't many compatible ap's/routers out for it yet.
      Last edited by blackice; 12-15-2006, 01:19 PM.
      Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
      Project 240SX
      Originally posted by chillin943
      anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
      Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
        haha noobs helping noobs, what is this site coming to? you should have asked me man. check this out http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ thats one of the more popular wifi scanners we used for wardriving at college lol. there are also some programs like airsnort that can monitor wifi connections and look for network passwords....i'm guessing you have a g card right now because a is crappy and outdated imo (same goes for the b spec but g is backwards compatible ). the newest n spec at 108 supposedly hasn't really been widely accepted as a standard or ratified as one or whatever, plus there aren't many compatible ap's/routers out for it yet.
        Ya, I just downloaded that so I'll try it.... I only know of one AP in the area beacause my boss had found it when he had his laptop here. This is a company PC, so I just borrowed the wireless card from a friend of mine at work.
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

hahaha

Comment

whats AP?

Buying Your Tan Interior Parts ( Click Here )
            .::.My Member's Ride Section.::.
            .::._____My Myspace______.::.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Akkord
              whats AP?
              access point otherwise known as WAP (wireless access point lol)
              Project 240SX
              Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

wap wap wap adap!

Comment

ahhhh...ok I feel dumb

Buying Your Tan Interior Parts ( Click Here )
                  .::.My Member's Ride Section.::.
                  .::._____My Myspace______.::.

Comment

the windows software already comes with something that allows you to see the available networks and the intensituy.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                      the windows software already comes with something that allows you to see the available networks and the intensituy.
                      True but it provides a lot less info than third party programs.

edit: check out this guide for netstumbler http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3589131
                      Project 240SX

Comment

Working...
                      X