When to wear a suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to wear a suit?

I have an interview coming up this Friday, and it's rather important to me.
    It's an Internship/Co-op, which is exactly what I want during school.
    It pays 50% more then my last internship, although it's a little further of a drive.
    Anyways:
    When I've worn suits for interviews in the past, I never got a call back.
    I wear a nice set of slacks and a shirt, then I get calls back.

What is your opinion on this?
    The company is Denso, and a member on here helped me out by putting in a good word.
    Yes, Denso.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Wear a suit. I gives the interview a perception of you taking the position seriously because you took the time to clean your self up.
    1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

I would say wear a suit, especially for that type of job.

Now if it was a parts store, grocery store, or some low end job, no suit.
      92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
      2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
      2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

fuck it wear the suit to wash your car.
        Wear the suit to the interview for sure.

Comment

If you have a nice suit then wear it.

If you don't then dress slacks, a nice long sleeve button down and a tie.

And dressier shoes then tennies... you should be good

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
          BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
          Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
          CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

For an interview dress one step above the other workers.
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

The suit certainly isn't mandatory simply because it's a job interview. However, it's an internship so you may be going up against other young people. Lots of people who interview for internships are college students in suits. So, if that's what pool you feel you'll be in then it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Two things you should NOT do:
              Wear shoes with clumpy rubber or foam soles. You're done growing so consider investing in some nice leather-sole dress shoes. Cole Haans or Johnston & Murphys are amazing brands that always seem to be very comfortable. I bought my first pair of Johnston & Murhpy lace-ups 7 years ago and they're still amazing when I have to be in them all day for certain events. I liked them enough to get two more pairs for different color options. What's important here is that they last if taken care of. How many people on here, besides Tippey and his Vans, have shoes that are that old? Not many.

Wear a shirt and tie that you buy paired in a plastic box. You know why? Because it looks like you're wearing a shirt and tie bought in a plastic box. A nice, white dress shirt is a staple of any guys closet. It goes well here also. Also, the tie should be a fairly tame color. Red will never fail you here with a charcoal suit. Do not wear any tie you think is funny or clever. Go for classic. Paisleys are back in(they never left as far as I'm concerned) so something with smallers ones in an earthy tone against a red background would be perfect. To nice here if you can afford it. Keep in mind, this stuff lasts a LOT longer than your typical clothes so don't consider prices on the same level.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                The suit certainly isn't mandatory simply because it's a job interview. However, it's an internship so you may be going up against other young people. Lots of people who interview for internships are college students in suits. So, if that's what pool you feel you'll be in then it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Two things you should NOT do:
                Wear shoes with clumpy rubber or foam soles. You're done growing so consider investing in some nice leather-sole dress shoes. Cole Haans or Johnston & Murphys are amazing brands that always seem to be very comfortable. I bought my first pair of Johnston & Murhpy lace-ups 7 years ago and they're still amazing when I have to be in them all day for certain events. I liked them enough to get two more pairs for different color options. What's important here is that they last if taken care of. How many people on here, besides Tippey and his Vans, have shoes that are that old? Not many.

Wear a shirt and tie that you buy paired in a plastic box. You know why? Because it looks like you're wearing a shirt and tie bought in a plastic box. A nice, white dress shirt is a staple of any guys closet. It goes well here also. Also, the tie should be a fairly tame color. Red will never fail you here with a charcoal suit. Do not wear any tie you think is funny or clever. Go for classic. Paisleys are back in(they never left as far as I'm concerned) so something with smallers ones in an earthy tone against a red background would be perfect. To nice here if you can afford it. Keep in mind, this stuff lasts a LOT longer than your typical clothes so don't consider prices on the same level.
                I have inside knowledge that says I'm the only one.
                Granted, they can always go back and pull from the pool(of 20), but for now I'm the only one they picked.

As for the suit, I can't do much to change it. It's a decent suit I got fro high school graduation.
                After I accumulate some funds, new shoes are the first thing on my list.
                The shirt and tie I have are matched from the guy at Mens warehouse.
                I'm colorblind and suck at picking out outfits, so I'm going to stick with what he said.
                I do appreciate the advice though. When the time comes, I'll be referring back to this thread just for your suggestions.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Feel free to pm also if you have smaller, tedious questions. I love talking about menswear.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                    fuck it wear the suit to wash your car.
                    This.

I wash my car daily in a suit.

I used to be a jeans and untucked shirt kind of guy and always felt comfortable going to work like that as it reflected the type of person I was. Once I started to dress more like a professional, it reflected my abilities as a professional to those around me, making me look as confident as I really was.

Now it depends on what you'll be doing at Denso, but wear a suit. See what the general dress code is for the department you'll be working in and reflect that once you've gotten the job. First impressions are everything, and you want that to exude confidence and professionalism.

Also try washing your car in a suit, you'll love it. Guaranteed.

Comment

I wouldn't wear the suit, personally. I would wear black slacks, a white or gray shirt (no button down collar), and a nice tie. PRESS THE SLACKS AND SHIRT!!! If you have no skill with an iron, have your mom do it, or take it to a dry cleaners to have them do it. Wear nice shoes, and shine them. Get a fresh haircut, shave carefully, and don't pile on the aftershave or cologne. If you have a fancy watch, don't wear it. The interviewer doesn't need to be impressed by your nice things.
                      Don't wear blue. Blue is considered to be "confrontational", and is "bad form" when going to an interview. I think it's BS... but if your interviewer believes that malarkey, you might miss out on the job!

I feel wearing a suit is overdressing. Unless you'll be wearing a suit at the job, you shouldn't wear a suit to the interview. In my opinion, a young guy wearing a suit to an interview is naively overdressed. Too eager to impress. You'd look like that one kid in elementary school on class picture day that you just KNOW his mother dressed.
                      My first reaction would be "aw, in't that cute? the kid is trying so hard to be a grownup!"

Though asking the person that got you the connection there would probably be best. If they work there, or they know people that do, they could answer that question much better than the rest of us.

Comment

Wore the suit. It was casual friday.
                        Got a call back yesterday.
                        Got the job.
                        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Congratulations! The suit may have had no bearing on whether or not you got the job but I'mn at least glad it didn't hurt.

Comment

It was one of the first things he said...
                            I think I intimidated him. He was in jeans and a Polo, I was in a suit and a tie

Edit:
                            Once he mentioned it, my response:
                            "Eh, it gave me an excuse to wear a suit"
                            Last edited by GeoffM; 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM.
                            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Best response ever! Congrats, Geoff. Glad you got it.

Comment

Working...
                              X