Photo sharing sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo sharing sites?

Ok so i have an account with Flickr, Photobucket, and Picasa.

What im interested in, is what sites does everyone use to share their images with people?

Picasa and flickr have stupid limits unless you pay and im not interested in paying for storage space.

Photobucket allows unlimited uploads but has limits on bandwitdth and picture size.

I kind of like the way you can have a photostream with flickr however.

Im kind of thinking ill get rid of my picasa/flickr and use Photobucket.

Ill just have to make seperate albums but then it gets really cluttered...

so.....

anyone have any recommendations for other websites!?!?!?

Any free "photo website" is going to impose limits.

If you want real freedom, you will need to just put the images up on your own web host. Then you can link directly to the images, or install a Gallery script to let people browse through the existing files. I really like SFPG - the Single File PHP Gallery, just drop the .php file into a folder full of subfolders full of images, and it'll create thumbnail-browsable galleries out of each folder. I use it for http://www.m1xe.com/urbanex/ ...only problem with this it that youll miss out on any "collective" or public interaction/galleries/etc, if thats what youre looking for. youre on your own little island, and its up to you to make it inviting to visit.

Granted good hosting is not free, but there are many free ones that you can sign up for, come preconfigured, and would be sufficient for a pile of pics: http://www.google.com/m?hl=en&gl=us&q=free+web+hosting ...sounds like http://www.000webhost.com/ isnt so bad, as long as you dont sign up for ANY of their extra services...
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Flickr Pro is basically $2 a month. The users of Flickr are more photography oriented than the users of a site like Photobucket. The interactions you will have through Flickr and the photos you will be exposed to are worlds above anything you will see on another site. For me, that's worth the price of a Pro account before getting to the fact that you have unlimited uploads and get full file size uploads (not the regular account which leaves Large as the largest file you can view).

Like Mike said, your own personal server will, ultimately, be much faster and easier to use if you are good with building computers. However, it will be much more expensive if you don't already have the hardware around. The cost of operating a box if you already have the hardware is super cheap (Less than $10 in electricity for a year's worth of service). Not only do you have photo sharing at that point, but you have remote access to any files you would ever want.

It sounds like all you are looking for is somewhere to post your own photos and to look at what others are doing. If that is the case, Flickr is where you want to be.

Originally posted by Maple50175
      Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
        Flickr Pro is basically $2 a month. The users of Flickr are more photography oriented than the users of a site like Photobucket. The interactions you will have through Flickr and the photos you will be exposed to are worlds above anything you will see on another site. For me, that's worth the price of a Pro account before getting to the fact that you have unlimited uploads and get full file size uploads (not the regular account which leaves Large as the largest file you can view).

Like Mike said, your own personal server will, ultimately, be much faster and easier to use if you are good with building computers. However, it will be much more expensive if you don't already have the hardware around. The cost of operating a box if you already have the hardware is super cheap (Less than $10 in electricity for a year's worth of service). Not only do you have photo sharing at that point, but you have remote access to any files you would ever want.

It sounds like all you are looking for is somewhere to post your own photos and to look at what others are doing. If that is the case, Flickr is where you want to be.

Ya i've thought about the server option, and MAYBE down the road i would do that(i use to manage my own website paying to use someone elses server so im familiar with building sites and maintaining etc)

Right now i can't do that option so thats out.

Flickr might be the one.

I don't like that you need a Yahoo to use flickr.

Edit- just checked and saw that you can sign in with other emails....so im going to convert my account to using my gmail login.

I don't have a Yahoo account anymore.

edit edit- So i didn't realize that deleting my yahoo account the other day would take my flickr with it lol....wow sucks....so ill have to go thru customer service to fix that issue lol.

Ummm yea so all i really need is a site that lets me store pictures that i want to share online.....id prefer free but 2 a month isn't a lot...so i might have to stop being cheap lol.

Comment

Working...
        X