Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

three bearings at the inner end of axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

three bearings at the inner end of axles?

Are those called knuckles? (not sure) but i went to change my front axles today and noticed that 2 out of the 3 knuckles on the driver side were cracked and chipped and little shavings from the metal bearing were in that area it slides into . So i cleaned it out. would this be my vibration problem ive been recently having? or what could have caused this. Anyway i need to replace it now but not sure what its called. Thanks for info

I-SR 6

idk the real name for them but they are cv joint bearings not knuckles. and if they are all fxsked up then yes thats whats causing your vibration.

replace the entire axle with a remanufactured one from a parts store.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

that usually gives good vibrations while driving...id just change the whole axle assym.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

so if i bought a new axle would it come with those 3 bearings i need. And do they sell those bearings by itself?

I-SR 6

Comment

it would come with that whole assym. from the tranny to the cv boot that is behind the rotor.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Nicely done thanks

I-SR 6

Comment

been trying to look online but had no luck. the only axle assemblys i found doesnt show the three prong looking thing that the bearings slip on. If anybody has any free time and can help me look for it lmk. This is for the driver side by the way! thanks

I-SR 6

Comment

You need a new complete CV axle:

Auto w/ABS
                Auto w/o ABS
                Manual w/ABS
                Manual w/o ABS

The above links are from Advance Auto Parts btw......it's cheapest and safest to just buy a complete reman axle assembly that has a lifetime warranty, never have to buy another
                Last edited by 19dabeast85; 01-24-2008, 04:10 AM.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootznation
                  been trying to look online but had no luck. the only axle assemblys i found doesnt show the three prong looking thing that the bearings slip on. If anybody has any free time and can help me look for it lmk. This is for the driver side by the way! thanks
                  Sounds like you've pulled the axle shaft out of the CV joint, leaving part of the CV joint still in situ on the differential shaft (?). The end of the bit you pulled out has three substantial radially disposed prongs with movable block type things on the prongs? And there is still a largish cylindrical object on the differential that turns when you twist it? Am I right?

The new drive shaft will include that cylinder thing. You won't need to disassemble it in any way, just fit the whole thing as is (after removing the remnants of the old CV of course). Use plenty of grease when inserting the new shafts into the hub splines and on the differential splines. Grease the threads of the retaining nut as well as under the nut where it bears against the washer. Retorque the nut to the correct torque (can't remember what that is offhand).
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

right on thanks for all the info! im gona replace the whole axle today

I-SR 6

Comment

Those are called spider bearings.

And I agree on just replacing the whole axle. HOWEVER. I caution on using any old axle from any old place.

The only two I have found that consistently last are OEM Honda, or NAPA reman units.

Everything else I have ever seen is 100% complete garbage.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                        Those are called spider bearings.

And I agree on just replacing the whole axle. HOWEVER. I caution on using any old axle from any old place.

The only two I have found that consistently last are OEM Honda, or NAPA reman units.

Everything else I have ever seen is 100% complete garbage.
                        Very true, I just replaced one I bought from Advance not 6 months ago because the boot busted....it was under warranty but still aggravating to have to take the time to do the job.
                        My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                          Very true, I just replaced one I bought from Advance not 6 months ago because the boot busted....it was under warranty but still aggravating to have to take the time to do the job.

Exactly. Most people say "it has a lifetime warranty", yeah good thing, maybe you can get your lifetime back, since you will be replacing it all the time.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

ya just got my new axle in a car runs like a charm. Got the napa remanufactured one and it feels way better then it did before

I-SR 6

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                              Exactly. Most people say "it has a lifetime warranty", yeah good thing, maybe you can get your lifetime back, since you will be replacing it all the time.
                              or you offer people a service by taking their old one in and using and abusing your lifetime warranty
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X