Headlight Removal.....for Cleaning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Removal.....for Cleaning!

well my headlights are pretty shitty on the inside,i had strobes and they blew so the powder shit from them coated the inside of the headlights,also there just shitty and i was thinking about removing both headlights to clean the inside of them really good,i was thinking of using windex on both headlights all on the inside to get them crystal clear again. should i remove the entitre headlight or just the front glass? also if i take the entire headlight off will they need to be realigned after there reinstalled? how hard is the removal of them,also i thought this would be a good time seeing how i have no front bumper right now.thanks.

with the front bumper gone (the WHOLE front bumper/styrofoam/support, not just the plastic bumper cover), its just five 10mm bolts to pull out the headlight, 2 on top, 2 on bottom, and 1 below the corner lens. to open them up theres a process where you stick them in the oven, let someone else explain how to do that, because ive never opened mine before.

i dont suggest windexing, or even touching the chrome reflector... it scratches SUPER easily (i scratched it with a Q-tip while trying to soak up a drop of water)... so yeah idk how youre gonna clean them.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

well the front glass (with nipples) is whats dirty,the inside of the glass has dust from popped bulbs,a rubber thing that went over my strobes,and there yucky.i can use windex on the glass.i wont touch the headlight but just the glass,maybe i'll just take my compressor and dust out the chrome area but the glass iswhats reall bad.thanks.

Comment

Here's how I seperated and reassembled my headlights for cleaning or whatevering:

Preheat oven to 225 degrees.

With the headlights off the car and mounting brackets, remove bulbs and 5 metal clips. Place light on a cookie sheet on top of 5 or 6 sheets of wet newspaper.

Bake in oven for 9 or 10 minutes.

Use large flathead screwdriver with a towel on tip to seperate lens from reflector piece. The adhesive is gray, nasty, vile stuff. Be careful, as the headlight will be hot coming out of the oven, especially any metal parts.

Once seperated, clean thoroughly the chrome reflector lens and inside the glass. This is a good time to do a DIY headlight blackout treatment.

Reassembly is easy (this is what I did)- Run to Walmart and pick up a tube of clear silicone sealant. apply 1/8" bead all along headlight seam where the glass meets the plastic. Press firmly and put on all 5 clips to hold pieces together for drying. Allow 24 hrs for sealant to be done curing. Any excess sealant can be cut off with an Xacto knife. It seems to have worked well for me and I have had no problems with moisture or leaking at the seams.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X