car dying running out of options where is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car dying running out of options where is this

someone posted that there was a 4 wire relay above the glove box, well in the search for it I took out the entire glove box and there is no relay. There are 2 clips that plug in to something and the have 2 wires each but thats about it. Car has brand new alternator and is still dying, change battery, checked grounds, all fuses, and Im lost.
    Last edited by 1991acclude; 11-30-2007, 07:31 PM. Reason: left out info
    Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Originally posted by 1991acclude
    someone posted that there was a 4 wire relay above the glove box, well in the search for it I took out the entire glove box and there is no relay. There are 2 clips that plug in to something and the have 2 wires each but thats about it. Car has brand new alternator and is still dying, change battery, checked grounds, all fuses, and Im lost.
    as in dying you mean what. running out of power or gas?
    miss my turbo cb7
    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

runs out of power

my voltage continues to drain. My car run fine off of battery power, but now battery is weak. But the alternator should run the car. well I put a new one on it and it failed within 30mins, it went from 15.1 then to 14.5 for 10 mins, so me thinking my problem is fixed i began to drive, 20 mins later, radio blacks out, tach dies, speedo dies, the car begins to bog.
      Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

so your alternator isnt charging your battery.

is your battery any good? maybe its not holding a charge?

also, what have you checked? did you check all of the grounds? any blown fuses?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

all grounds are good,

checked grounds, fuses are good. He's the thing even if the battery is dead the alternator will run the car until you turn it off. Am I right. Well once I jump start it or put in a fresh battery, the car eventually dies, its like all the parts dont get what they need from the alt. so the take it from the battery. If the battery is weak, the the car runs limp b/c for some reason my brand new alternator is no running full blast anymore. I put it on, didnt get the battery charged but the car ran perfect, I drove for 30 mins its dark so headlight and etc are on, maybe about 5 miles in traffice she started to die. What stops the voltage from the alternator from getting to where it needs to go.
          Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

I've come to the conclusion in my thesis.

so I've come to the conclusion that the problem only come to show itself when the car is moving, I let it idle for 15 mins and no problems. Started to drive 30 mins late same thing. whats good.
            Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

I bet its your altenator or a really shitty battery what kin dof battery you use i only use diehard gold. Get an altenator from a better place. And check your grounds especially that ground that goes to that altenator aswell and make sure that belt is nice and snug on it if not your car will die out again. I know i had it happen to me when i traveled out to the jersey meet.

Comment

yeah make sure you've got an 85amp alternator. That's what comes standard. you might possibly have a lower rated alt. that could be causing it? And run an optima redtop batt. they're pretty good, have about 800CCA of power.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Alt. ground???

there is no alternator ground. Its only the green plug and the wire that goes to the battery(10mm nut). Could this be why. If so its run so long just fine with out one, b/c when I put the F22a4 in it it came with no alt. so I used the one from the bad engine, it ran fine for 2 months. I have an auto zone rebuilt alt. I think its 80amps not quite 85 and I have a duralast red top battery, it is weak but still once i got the voltage to run steady i could turn the car off and it would fire right up. I need to put a volt meter on it and test the alt, and ride and watch the voltage when I use the light and brake. but if you have any more info like the location of the alt. ground please post. thanx for all the support, I mean what are we here for. And dont for get, Im a cb7 sql/spl guru so hit me with any questions. 145.0db on the dash (Term-Lab meter)
                  Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

How did you check for a short to ground?...Because I'm almost sure that whats happening.

Comment

take your belts off and check your harmonic balancer (crank pulley) I had this issue before and when i went to put the alt belt back on, the outer ring of the crank pulley fell off. the rubber of the harmonic balancer had separated.... good luck...
                      Seattle Silver crew #5
                      Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                      ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

how do you check "short to ground"

Car gets a jump its fine, let it run its fine hit a switch or lights or anything, she bogs down and voltage goes low. So I was just going to unhook the wire from the alternator and run it straight to the battery with some 4 gauge wire. But how do you check short to ground?
                        Last edited by 1991acclude; 12-02-2007, 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Ive got it

so I took the new alternator off and took it back to Auto Zone, they tested it and it checked out but he still gave me a new one, b/c my diagnostic from a near by shop said that was the problem. I got home to install it and when my belt came off the crank pulley I got on the ground and found my problem. The outer portion of the pulley(the part that drives the alt. and a/c comp.) had come attached from the actual pulley. So I have a old pulley thats rusted and laying by the house, getting it installed right now, that should do it. Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best.
                          Mr. $3 Dollahz Himself!

Comment

Working...
                          X