Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Antifreeze / Coolant Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Antifreeze / Coolant Thread.

I dont think there is an official Thread recommending any type of antifeeze with actual facts behind "xxx is better than xxx".

I would like to hear some good suggestions, with reasons why they are better than the other. Things such as "Do you know what xxx does to your water pump seal?" dosent count unless it has happened to you or a car you know, not just you read it on HT or some other forum.

"Use OEM Honda, becasue they know what they are doing", dosent count either, especially when i heard stories that they buy their stuff from someone else.

I like Peak. My reasoning is...My dads half ownership to a truck shop uses peak on their Tractor Trailer's. Those trucks run for like 12-20+ hours straight. They take a beating. Plus they go n for Thousands of Miles. Ive personally never tried it, but i will this week, and ill see how it goes.

What are you guys suggestions/thoughts/experiences?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Honda coolant is designed for Honda blocks. After market coolants are designed to go into everything, a one size fits all approach. If I still had access to the Honda database of TSB's I would post the article stating the chemical makeup differences. Basically your green and orange coolants have more stuff like phosphates and silicates, which are not, according to Honda, the best for their blocks.

Comment

Right now I am using Ravenol Antifreeze (Made in Germany).
      clear liquid

1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
      2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
      3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
      4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
      5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Originally posted by v4lu3s
        Honda coolant is designed for Honda blocks. After market coolants are designed to go into everything, a one size fits all approach. If I still had access to the Honda database of TSB's I would post the article stating the chemical makeup differences. Basically your green and orange coolants have more stuff like phosphates and silicates, which are not, according to Honda, the best for their blocks.
        OK, so then what colour is Hondas? I heard the new stuff was blue, but before that it was green just like everyone elses. Therefore your honda rules all statment fails. The only differnece in coolant i can see, is how it would affect certain metals, sensors, and seals.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

Comment

the coolant from honda makes your temp sensor go whack. never gets to normal operation temp. jumps from normal back down to cold. If you go with any other antifreeze it works fine and makes the temp sensor normal. I dunno probably the OEM honda Antifreeze does it job to well?
          either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

I just use the Prestone stuff. I buy it already mixed 50/50. Less hassle. Fill and done. I have never overheated.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
              I just use the Prestone stuff. I buy it already mixed 50/50. Less hassle. Fill and done. I have never overheated.
              x2

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Originally posted by trah
                the coolant from honda makes your temp sensor go whack. never gets to normal operation temp. jumps from normal back down to cold. If you go with any other antifreeze it works fine and makes the temp sensor normal. I dunno probably the OEM honda Antifreeze does it job to well?
                I've been using the Honda coolant and never had this happen, let alone any problem. In this case, it's most likely a bad temp sensor, not "bad" coolant. Because when you think about it, how would coolant make a sensor give a false reading? It would actually have to make a drastic change in temperature.

Comment

chemical makeup of coolant has NOTHING to do with your temp gauge reading up and down... thats just crazy talk

when i put my motor together i used honda type-2 blue, supposed to have less electrolytes so it makes less buildup or whatever the crap they were talking about in the pamplet at the parts counter (which is what v4lu3s was talking about, Honda does explain why their coolant is better for aluminum blocks compared to the other brands). after using it for the first time, i went back to my normal Prestone 50/50... good brand... good coolant... easy to find... mixes with everything... and much cheaper.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I'm using Honda Type II blue for the reasons v4lu3s mentioned, and it's already 50/50 for those that weren't aware.

Comment

Originally posted by trah
                      the coolant from honda makes your temp sensor go whack. never gets to normal operation temp.
                      There would be millions of cars having that problem it that was true.
                      2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                      1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                        especially when i heard stories that they buy their stuff from someone else.
                        Like most manufacturers?
                        They don't make their own filters...oil...hell, other than the body shell and the blocks, they may farm out the entire rest of the car!
                        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

blah... i've used nothing but Prestone and NAPA coolant... no problems to date

i really believe coolant only REALLY matter when it comes down to calling for regular(ethylene glycol) or Dex-Cool(propylene glycol) or whatever else i'm missing

THEN: 1993 Accord 10th Ann. Ed.---------------------- NOW: 1996 Accord EX
                          My Ride thread
                          Flickr
                          Originally posted by d112crzy
                          And it can only get better. That's the best part.
                          All I gotta really say is:
                          People of cb7tuner, this AUTO is NOT a joke. It has impressed ME, the hater of auto's.

Comment

so no one here uses Peak?

Pepboys has a sale for buy one get one free for $11. so $5.50 a gallon UNMIXED

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                              so no one here uses Peak?

Pepboys has a sale for buy one get one free for $11. so $5.50 a gallon UNMIXED
                              I shall have to see about that.

But about coolant, They are all the same shit. I lost count how many times I mixed different brands and never had a problem with them in any honda blocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X