Grease behind the block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grease behind the block

Ive noticed that there is grease spilling onto my engine block on the left side of the oil filter near the water pump area. There is also a line of grease on the opposite side on the control arm support. I figure it is the balljoint boot from the axle but I did a full inspection and there aren't any visible holes or any grease splatters on it. My question is, are there any ports on the block that seal away grease that I'm not aware of. Theres alot of grease so I need to take care of this relatively soon.

...adjust accordingly

oil yes, grease no...

its your axle boot, probably the inner one... as it spins it flings little bits of grease out, you should notice that its probably aligned right with the boot's end...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

My first thoughts were cv inner boot. However, I can't find any grease there. Ill take a pic today and post.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

As cpmike said the only thing in that area that would throw grease is the inner boot. If thats not ripped its prob just dried oil mixed with debris and stuff thats been sitting there. IT can kinda look like grease I guess. Prob last person that did oil change didnt wipe off the rear of the block so debris and stuff catches there. Get a rag/brake clean and wipe it off then go under a few days later to check.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

sometimes the boots start allowing grease out from the ends without actually splitting/tearing... its probably squeezing out between the boot and CV joint piece, and being flung out, leaving no grease on the axle to make it look noticable... but really thats the only logical thing that could literally FLING GREASE onto both the back of the block and the rear crossmember.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Well the thing is the motor was clean as a whistle all around when i dropped it and I double checked for leaks day after day and then I noticed the grease lines on both the block and the rear crossmember. I wiped it off and checked the next day and sure enough the same marks. Its a circular spray and it is grease and not oil so it has to be coming from the boot. Is there a way to repair a boot that is loose on one end or will it need to be completely replaced?

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Working...
            X