Broken flex pipe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken flex pipe...

Recently my car got louder. It sounded like there was a hole or something in the piping, which was cool at first, but now the loudness and grumbling is getting annoying. So I had the mechanics check it all out when they changed my oil today. They told me my flex pipe is broken, which would make sense, since I looked at it with them.

schematic

It's #7 in the picture above...$200!? I plan on doing this myself, as long as I can unbolt the pipe from the cat and from the headers(?), I should be alright. Should I buy a brand new oem pipe, an ebay pipe (80), or a used pipe (40)?

I'm leaning away from the used pipe, the last thing I want is a "new" rusty pipe to put in. Obviously the quality of the ebay "brand" will not be as good as oem, is that something I should be worried about?

You can have a shop just cut the old one off and weld a new one into place. I just had that done on the gray accord, and it cost me less than $100 for parts and labor.

Comment

autozone/oem/etc are good, but its a stock header for a 15 year old car. who wants to spend $200 on that?

do not waste your money on a used one, as itll only happen again.

when my flexpipe went on my daily, i picked up a whole new chrome header and downpipe from ebay after i looked into getting one welded in for $208. itll fix your flexpipe problem, and also be clean, rust free, and also look good. also comes with all new gaskets. i got the cheapest possible one for $78 shipped... while it fit and works, it bangs the crossmember (grrrrr) so go with a Megan header for a little more. its a known good brand, it fits, but its still cheaper than any other option... best bang for your buck IMO.

...excuse to upgrade haha
      Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I'd say go with the used OEM. New OEM is gonna cost out the nose and the ebay pipe is gonna be crappy. Used OEM isn't all that bad as long as you inspect it before you buy it. If it looks rusty then don't buy it. Good luck!
        FSAE(F Series Accord Enthusiasts) "A dying breed..." #15

Need parts? Check out my 1990 EX part out!
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=60011

www.clemsonscc.com

Comment

When the mechanic told me about it, I mentioned just replacing the flexing part, but he said I'd need the WHOLE pipe. If they would do it for under $100...I could just buy the whole thing off some guy on eBay for $100 with a 5 year warranty.

I guess I could upgrade with eBay headers/A pipe, but I'm worried about the quality of the parts, since upgrading to a legit brand would cost more. I don't feel like sinking extra money into my Accord anymore, and don't aftermarket headers add noise?

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Comment

Yo..$45 dollars....weld on a new one! cut right After the O2 sensor and right before the flange ( where the cat and DP meets )...and just reweld!...have a shop do it....I had a new one welded on for $45...but places vary!

NOTE: thats only a TEMPORARY fix until you get the FULL exhaust pieced out!

Stainless header and DP..Highflow cat..and then Apexi WS2 catback..( thats the route im taking )
            Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM.
            92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
            My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

The guy that's selling these headers says it's for 90-95 Accords...how is that possible? Also, the flex pipe doesn't look long enough.

Comment

^That's just a generic pic, possibly 5th gen accord maybe?

I would say pull the dp/a-pipe off yourself and bring it somewhere and have them weld on a new flexpipe. Even if they have to patch in a section of tubing on each end, it could be done for pretty cheap.

I'm going to be getting a Bisimoto header (when they're ready) but this weekend I'm having my friend's dad weld a new flexpipe on my a6 dp for the time being. It'll be alot cheaper than an Autozone or Honda dp.

EDIT: Do not get that header, 90-95? 94-97 Accord headers are way diff. from 90-93, that's either a mistake or they really don't know Accords!

Comment

I just literally had mine replaced last Saturday. Go to RockAuto.com they are cheaper than any other parts store. The flex pipe and both gaskets ran me around $80 including shipping. I had to have a shop put it on because my catalytic converter bolts were completely rusted and wouldn't even come loose getting them red hot with a propane torch.

Comment

I have ordered from this buyer on ebay before, they got pretty good prices. They sell the felx pipe for DX/LX and EX....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93...mZ190033720169

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93...mZ190033720362

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

Working...
                    X