Fixing the drop killer (KYB AGX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing the drop killer (KYB AGX)

It is widely known that the KYB AGX strut/shock will take away a bit of the drop. Now it seems this has to do with the little metal tab that is welded onto the shock body which sits onto the suspension fork. Do you guys think if i grinded the tab down slightly I would regain my drop?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Well you probably would regain some of the drop, but that "tab" is there for a reason. You could blow your strut...

Comment

is it that pointy tab that is supposed to be lined up with the split in the back of the damper fork? ive never installed AGXs, anybody got a pic of this?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

it looks like it is meant to hold the brake line

Originally posted by kc8enb07
        does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

I will try to snap a pic, basically its so the shock body doesnt drop farther down into the shock fork. So im thinking if i grind down maybe 5mm accurately, something to that degree.

Comment

its the spring seat and not the tab meng. i compared a GR2 and AGX side to side. the AGX is higher by 1/3"

if you settle the springs with a LOT of weight it should be the problem. i have that track racing look where the rear is more dumped than the front because i put more weight in the trunk.

my frons are GR2's and my rear's are AGX's with the same spring drop all around (2.25")
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yes the spring seat is what I meant, can i grind it down a little?

Comment

if it is one thing i wouldnt weaken, it would be that spring seat.

plus how would you get it even on all sides?
                im just afraid of springs shooting all over the place. ever had a valve spring shoot at your fingers? no bueno
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Well I would take apart the shock and measure it with a caliper then grind it down slowly. I mean, that seat isnt bearing any weight when its on the car, I think its just so the shock sits at the right height. Unfortunately the AGX was designed with that seat a little higher than we would like it. That is my thinking.

Comment

an old man i worked with got a recoiling spring to the eye this past friday. he looks like he was beaten severely. My point? don't F with them springs/struts.

Originally posted by kc8enb07
                    does it come w/ jdm trash? they better throw away gold in it

Comment

check this out...its kinda the same idea i was talking about with the thread. but if you look at the front agx for our cars, there is a little tab that keeps the shock body from going deeper into the fork.

Comment

Screw it cut of a 1/4 of a coil or something. Don't heat the strut up you could mess up the seals in it.
                        -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

Don't freakin do that! Just tap that part into the gap in the lower fork! It will sit flush. I did this on mine and thought the same thing but after thinking about it just tap it in. That isn't what "kills" the drop. Compare the agx's and oem side to side.

Comment

Oh come on if your not draggin exhaust you aren't haven fun.
                            No Bags
                            No Switches
                            No Big Fat Bitches
                            -1991 Honda Accord LX H22a-

Comment

I would think the gas pressure to be the reason the AGX rides higher. When KYB first came out with the gas-a-just shocks for 4x4's they provided a little lift over a non-gas shock. I guess you gotta go a little lower w/the springs and bring it back up a bit w/the shocks. How to figure that out ahead time would be tough though

Comment

Working...
                              X