Quick question need a quick answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question need a quick answer

I was driving down the street yesterday and I heard kind of a pop and I thought I ran something over so I payed no attention. So when I finally came to a stop, I realized the car wasn't running anymore. So I tried starting it back up and it wouldn't start. It makes a screeching type of noise like its not getting fuel or spark. I disconnected the FPR and theres some fuel coming out, so my next step was to check for spark. We didn't see one with the tests we did so my next step was to take of the dizzy cap to see if the rotor was spinning. It wasn't when I cranked it over. Does that mean that the timing belt came off/broke?

most likely yes the timing belt snapped. take the cover off and take a look.
    Members Ride

Comment

Yeah I was guessin that and I took the cover off... Confirmation... the belt snapped... right before I'm sellin the car.. sweet. Anyone know any good DIY's?

Comment

your going to need more than a DIY....a new head maybe? valves at least..

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Why is that?

Comment

I know that it can bend valves, but is it most likely that I bent valves? I was only going like 30.

Comment

because your pistons smashed into your valves and bent them.

easiest option is throw a whole new motor in, unless you want to take it apart and replace the head, headgasket, and timing belt.

edit: you were going 30, but your engine was spinning at 3000rpm. 99% of the time, valves are bent. the only way to find out is put a new timing belt on and do a compression test. and at that point, youll probably end up having to pull it all back apart again.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                because your pistons smashed into your valves and bent them.

easiest option is throw a whole new motor in, unless you want to take it apart and replace the head, headgasket, and timing belt.

edit: you were going 30, but your engine was spinning at 3000rpm. 99% of the time, valves are bent. the only way to find out is put a new timing belt on and do a compression test. and at that point, youll probably end up having to pull it all back apart again.
                I have done this method before. Just left all the covers and everything disconnected and then check for compression. Then you will know where you stand. The head should take roughly a couple hours to change if you are doing it for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                X