Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone post a diy on a trunklid swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uncle_el
    1. this post is from june of last year
    2. this is the thread i refer people to for the trunk swap!
    red/clear tail light faq...

which has pics of both 90/91 and 92/93 trunks.
    heh yup that'd be them lol
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

when you are changing key holes for trunk lid swap, do you still have to do it when you are doing 90/91 trunk lid to 92/93 sedan trunk lid since they are in the same spot or are they still differnt and need to be changed????
      Nighthawk Black Pearl ES1

Comment

hey take pics as u do this so we all can see how u did it cause i plan on doing this soon as well
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

just wanted to add some physical pictures.

Originally posted by cpmike
          swapping the pins of the lock cylinders - so when you swap trunk lids, you can make it so your key still works with the new lid

----------------------------------------

c p m 1 x e: ok so um lemme type
          c p m 1 x e: this will be all completely from memory
          c p m 1 x e: and i havent seen a lock cyl since i was at ur house
          accordtun3rx: hmm
          accordtun3rx: well ok
          c p m 1 x e: typing.
          accordtun3rx: just see what you can do
          accordtun3rx: as long as it's ballpark
          c p m 1 x e:
          1. use a flathead screwdriver and pry off the shiny metal cap, the one thats over the end where u put ur key in

2. unwrap and pop off the spring and plastic clip thing from the other end

3. the center column slides out of its cylinder shell, and theres these flat plates and springs coming out of either side of it, like 5 on one side, 4 on the other? when ur pulling it out, hold all of the plates in with ur fingers. when the column is all the way out, set it down on its side so none of the plates fall out

c p m 1 x e: do that to both cylinders
          c p m 1 x e: and then one by one pull the first plates out and swap them, then the second one, then the third
          c p m 1 x e: till all of the flat plates are swapped between the two cylinders.
          c p m 1 x e: reassemble backwards and test the keys
          c p m 1 x e: make sure u dont lose the tiny springs, and u gotta make sure they go back in the right spot. lemme draw a quick diagram of where the spring goes:
          accordtun3rx: k
          c p m 1 x e:
          Code:
               _______
              /_      |
               #|  _  |
               #| | | |
               #|_| |_|

^ the lb signs are the spring, under the little overhanging ledge of the plate
          c p m 1 x e:
          how the pins are arranged sticking out of hte sides of the column:
          Code:
                ___
            ===| o |
               | o |===
            ===| o |
               | o |===
            ===| o |
               | o |===
            ===| o |
               |___|

c p m 1 x e: if youre very careful pulling it apart, and pay atention to where you took everything off of, you should just be able to put it all back together, just with all of hte plates swapped
          c p m 1 x e: do NOT rearrange them :-P
          accordtun3rx: lol awesome
          c p m 1 x e: sha
          make sure to take the pins out of the old lock cylinder (the ones that work from the old trunk), and swap them for the pins in the new lock cylinder (the ones that won't work in the new trunk).
          Last edited by uncle_el; 04-19-2005, 09:25 PM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

thanks uncle el, but do YOU know if you have to swap pins for 90/91 sedan trunk tails w/ 92/93 sedan like.......you have to do w/ the coupe tails 92/93 w/ 92/93 lid?

this question make sense? let me know guys

Comment

Originally posted by TEckert
              thanks uncle el, but do YOU know if you have to swap pins for 90/91 sedan trunk tails w/ 92/93 sedan like.......you have to do w/ the coupe tails 92/93 w/ 92/93 lid?

i think the trunk lock swap is to retain your key for the lock. dont know if this helps i am truly confused by your question though.

Comment

mike and i were just talking about it on aim, and we don't know. he has a 92/93 sedan, and i have a 92/93 coupe.

my best guess is that you have to take the pins from the lock that works, and put them into the new lock. otherwise, you'd just be able to run around and pop open anyone's trunk! if that's the case, that's kind of scary. i'd like to think the pins fit your key, and not that all 92/93 coupe owners could go around opening up the trunks of 92/93 coupes, etc. etc.

aero3685 has a 90/91 coupe, and did the 92/93 trunk swap. slow904door had a 90/91 sedan, and did the 92/93 coupe trunk swap. i don't know the details, or if they even wanted a functional trunk lock. hopefully they can chime in.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

ok- i asked stupid question, not the "pins" that i mentioned in my initial question, but the acutal "lock cylinder"

i know you have to swap that and the pins (for opening trunk purposes w/ your key only)

b/c w/ 92/93 coupe it is in different spot/size is difference, that is why you have to swap them

so...............this question not directly for you el but for anyone who can answer, the locking cylinder have to swapped? (obviously pins will have to be) for 90/91 sedan trunk lid swap for 92/93 sedan trunk (b/c of being different sizes much like coupe 92/93 vs sedan 92/93? b/c it appears they are in same spot for 90/91 vs. 92/93 sedans tails, just worried about the size which is the main reason for the swap and swapping pins

i think that makes my question more clear, if not just ignore me

EDIT:
                  Im confusing myself w/ this question, lol

SORRY FOR ALL CONFUSION
                  Last edited by TEckert; 04-19-2005, 10:02 PM.

Comment

basically i just want to know is if you dont have to swap the pins "IF" the locking cylinder is the same size for 90/91 sedan and 92/93 sedan?

just swap out the locking cylinders and dont mess w/ pins? let me know from someone who has actually done this

Comment

The cylinders are different sizes. I had a 91 coupe, and obviously sedan lid. I had to take apart the locks, and swap them out. Its not really hard, just gotta make sure you put them all in the right way, and dont loose any of the springs and always put it together the right way, and you should be good to go. I was going to make a DIY but at the time i didnt know how to use Macro mode on the camera(to see small things). Its not hard though. Also, the wiring its easy to just fish it through and hook it up.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
                        The cylinders are different sizes. I had a 91 coupe, and obviously sedan lid. I had to take apart the locks, and swap them out. Its not really hard, just gotta make sure you put them all in the right way, and dont loose any of the springs and always put it together the right way, and you should be good to go. I was going to make a DIY but at the time i didnt know how to use Macro mode on the camera(to see small things). Its not hard though. Also, the wiring its easy to just fish it through and hook it up.
                        thank you a lot brandon- ive already done this so i know how to do since im one of the few, the proud, the coupe trunk lid on sedan owner, but was wondering for someone else

last question then........is the 90/91 coupe and sedans the same?

Comment

thank you a lot brandon- ive already done this so i know how to do since im one of the few, the proud, the coupe trunk lid on sedan owner, but was wondering for someone else

last question then........is the 90/91 coupe and sedans the same?
                          i CAN answer that one. yes the 90-91 trunks are the same for the coupes and sedans. hence you can interchange tail lights for those years.

Comment

awesome, thanks for all your help tonight guys

Comment

like el said, we arent really sure about any of the 9091 details, this info applies to 9293 sedan and coupe swaps but i guess if you found out that the 9091 lock cyls arent swappable with the new lid youre putting on, then you can follow the same pin swapping directions...

heres a clearer summary of why you swap pins:

for the locks, there is a set of pins that match your exact key. Thats how just your key works with your car, your pins are matched to your key. so the point of swapping pins is to keep YOUR matching set of pins from the old trunk lid, and install them in the new trunk. you cant just swap entire lock cylinders because they dont mount up, but if you swap the pins between them, you can put your pins into the new cylinder, so your key works in the new lock.

for a graphical explaination of how a lock works (itll make swapping pins much more clear) go here and read this page, and then click next and read that page too: http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking3.htm now the only difference is that cars use flat plates ("wafers") instead of cylinder pins, but the idea behind it is the same.
                              Last edited by cp[mike]; 04-20-2005, 07:48 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hi guys,
                                i did the 9091 to 9293 trunk swap. Lights work, everythings cool. Only problem is , the trunk wont latch shut it just slams down. Any ideas?
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X