Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could someone post a diy on a trunklid swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could someone post a diy on a trunklid swap?

Just that..I got my tiallights comming this monday, and I wanna know EXACTLY what to do to swap the lids..Thanks..

-A. Swift
    CB7 member number 137
    Black Doubt Crew member #2
    Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

umm never done it but my guess is...

unplug the wires that lead to the tail lights
    unbolt the trunk
    remove trunk
    bolt on new trunk
    plug wires back in

done.
    I like Hummers to... Especially in the morning...

4x4 Connection.

Comment

if only..too bad I don't have the wires o nteh new trunk..I gotta re-thread everything, including the latch cable..

-A. Swift
      CB7 member number 137

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty1638
        if only..too bad I don't have the wires o nteh new trunk..I gotta re-thread everything, including the latch cable..
        -A. Swift
        between what you just said and what toddy said above, you covered it all.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

well, ok..i am not looking forward to it at all..what will be the best, headach-free way to get all this transfered? I already know the new trunk is gonna need ot be attached, and whatnot, so what is the best way to thread everything into the new trunklid? Also, how do I take a lock apart, and re-key it? Thanks..

-A. Swift
          CB7 member number 137

Comment

lemme think thru this in my head.... there should be like 5 plugs on the wiring harness - one for each tail, one for each plate light, and one for the latch... disconnect those, and unclip the harness from the lid (there are a few plastic clips u can pop out with pliars). pull the whole harness out of the whole on the side of the trunk. take the three 10mm bolts out of the latch and pull the latch out a bit, theres a plastic clip (usually purple from what ive seen, can vary tho) - push it back towards the inside of the trunk lid to release the metal bar, pull the bar out of the hole (this bar is what connects the keyhole to the latch). once thats out, the cable pops right out of the latch... once u pop it out, pull it out thru the same hole on the left side of the trunk. it should be all out now, there are four bolts (2 on each side) holding the trunk lid onto the hinges. unbolt the trunk and flip it over next to the new one - so you can compare lock cylinders.

swapping lock pins is a little complicated, and i can only give very basic instructions because i would be doing it from memory... so i say hold off on the lock, and swap around the pins later, when i can take the time to write a good DIY (i need to get a coupe lock for an example and pics). so just leave the locks how they are for now, you can always get to them later.

bolt the new trunk lid on (helps if u have a second person), then start weeding the wires / cable into the hole. i say put the cable in first, and get that hooked up before running the wires. just stick the cable in, it doesnt matter really where it runs as long as it reaches to the latch. pass it in, grab it w/ ur fingers at the next closest hole, and pass it to the next hole, etc etc until you can get it hooked up.

do the same for the wiring harness, until all of the plugs reach and plug in. the plugs on the harness should plug right into the new sedan lights with no problem.

and voila, trunk lid conversion is done

Current cars:

Comment

swapping the pins of the lock cylinders - so when you swap trunk lids, you can make it so your key still works with the new lid

----------------------------------------

c p m 1 x e: ok so um lemme type
              c p m 1 x e: this will be all completely from memory
              c p m 1 x e: and i havent seen a lock cyl since i was at ur house
              accordtun3rx: hmm
              accordtun3rx: well ok
              c p m 1 x e: typing.
              accordtun3rx: just see what you can do
              accordtun3rx: as long as it's ballpark
              c p m 1 x e:
              1. use a flathead screwdriver and pry off the shiny metal cap, the one thats over the end where u put ur key in

2. unwrap and pop off the spring and plastic clip thing from the other end

3. the center column slides out of its cylinder shell, and theres these flat plates and springs coming out of either side of it, like 5 on one side, 4 on the other? when ur pulling it out, hold all of the plates in with ur fingers. when the column is all the way out, set it down on its side so none of the plates fall out
              c p m 1 x e: do that to both cylinders
              c p m 1 x e: and then one by one pull the first plates out and swap them, then the second one, then the third
              c p m 1 x e: till all of the flat plates are swapped between the two cylinders.
              c p m 1 x e: reassemble backwards and test the keys
              c p m 1 x e: make sure u dont lose the tiny springs, and u gotta make sure they go back in the right spot. lemme draw a quick diagram of where the spring goes:
              accordtun3rx: k
              c p m 1 x e:
              Code:
                   _______
                  /_      |
                   #|  _  |
                   #| | | |
                   #|_| |_|

^ the lb signs are the spring, under the little overhanging ledge of the plate
              c p m 1 x e:
              how the pins are arranged sticking out of hte sides of the column:
              Code:
                    ___
                ===| o |
                   | o |===
                ===| o |
                   | o |===
                ===| o |
                   | o |===
                ===| o |
                   |___|
              c p m 1 x e: if youre very careful pulling it apart, and pay atention to where you took everything off of, you should just be able to put it all back together, just with all of hte plates swapped
              c p m 1 x e: do NOT rearrange them :-P
              accordtun3rx: lol awesome
              c p m 1 x e: sha

Current cars:

Comment

[QUOTE=cpmike]swapping the pins of the lock cylinders - so when you swap trunk lids, you can make it so your key still works with the new lid

i think this swap was the easiest one i've done in a while all i got now is to swap locks and get red/clear tails and i am set.

P.S. i'll be sure to take pics of my outcome (kinda looks goofy with 90-91 outer and 92-93 inner tails :P cuz that is all i got right now)
                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

just read what they said.. it'll take you 10 min at the most to get the whole lid off with the wire harness out and all.
                  Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                  2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                  2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                  2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Trial and error: reassembly is reverse of removal.
                    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                      lemme think thru this in my head.... there should be like 5 plugs on the wiring harness - one for each tail, one for each plate light, and one for the latch... disconnect those, and unclip the harness from the lid (there are a few plastic clips u can pop out with pliars). pull the whole harness out of the whole on the side of the trunk. take the three 10mm bolts out of the latch and pull the latch out a bit, theres a plastic clip (usually purple from what ive seen, can vary tho) - push it back towards the inside of the trunk lid to release the metal bar, pull the bar out of the hole (this bar is what connects the keyhole to the latch). once thats out, the cable pops right out of the latch... once u pop it out, pull it out thru the same hole on the left side of the trunk. it should be all out now, there are four bolts (2 on each side) holding the trunk lid onto the hinges. unbolt the trunk and flip it over next to the new one - so you can compare lock cylinders.

swapping lock pins is a little complicated, and i can only give very basic instructions because i would be doing it from memory... so i say hold off on the lock, and swap around the pins later, when i can take the time to write a good DIY (i need to get a coupe lock for an example and pics). so just leave the locks how they are for now, you can always get to them later.

bolt the new trunk lid on (helps if u have a second person), then start weeding the wires / cable into the hole. i say put the cable in first, and get that hooked up before running the wires. just stick the cable in, it doesnt matter really where it runs as long as it reaches to the latch. pass it in, grab it w/ ur fingers at the next closest hole, and pass it to the next hole, etc etc until you can get it hooked up.

do the same for the wiring harness, until all of the plugs reach and plug in. the plugs on the harness should plug right into the new sedan lights with no problem.

and voila, trunk lid conversion is done

you cant get a better description than that w/o pictures. DIY Mike comes through again

its a super easy swap once you get going on it. the only slight problem i had was with the purple clip because i couldnt remember how it went in at first

Comment

damn i was expecting a post from uncle el with a link in it that guy is always on his stuff. def a huge help

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4
                          damn i was expecting a post from uncle el with a link in it that guy is always on his stuff. def a huge help
                          jus take a look at my member's ride page and you can see the difference between the two of the 90-91 and the 92-93 trunks if anyone needs to know.
                          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4
                            1. this post is from june of last year
                            2. this is the thread i refer people to for the trunk swap!
                            red/clear tail light faq...

Originally posted by tommi
                            jus take a look at my member's ride page and you can see the difference between the two of the 90-91 and the 92-93 trunks if anyone needs to know.
                            which has pics of both 90/91 and 92/93 trunks.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

what i did was just eyeball the sucker and just go by trial and error.. its very hard to make an error... just have the tools and patience.. and strong fingers lolz...

if i remember correctly i used a 8mm deep socket and a 10 mm deep socket.. and a flat head screw driver... have a phillips just in case..

and you also need to buy the inner tail light plugs cuz the 90-91 and 92-93 are different..

it isnt that hard.. just gotta look at it and youll figure it out easily

Comment

Working...
                              X