now here i come, im droppin' valves on your ass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now here i come, im droppin' valves on your ass

for those of you who didnt know, my coupe hasnt been running. after a set of bent exhaust valves, i reassembled everything to find that the valve spring retainers on my intake side were hitting the undersides of the rocker arms.

pissed and busy with other things, i closed the hood and didnt bother to look at it for some time now. finally checked it out last night, and found that what i thought might be happening is actually happening.

these are supposedly Ferrea SS valve springs and titanium retainers, with hardened locks. the valves are literally pulling the lock wedges right through the retainers, for whatever reason.

my machine shop said hes heard of it happening to titanium retainers, but not usually any time before 35,000mi... i drove mine for what, 1000? had i driven it longer, i ran the risk of actually pulling them through, splitting the retainers, and dropping valves. and that would be goodbye for this engine.

so lets see what i end up doing, because im not exactly positive yet. you can see how far its pulled thru in the pic, also you can see the marked up edge along the bottom right side. whatever happens, i will NOT be running these retainers.

[img]http://www.****.com/pics/92exr/revalves/000_1352.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-10-2007, 11:04 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

dang!

how cud have that happened mike?

ive bent valves from timing belt slippage, but this?? wow..

catastrophic.. and this is the Euro-R motor ayte?

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
    Honda Accord Euro-R
    Honda Odyssey Absolute
    Honda City I-DSi
    Honda Stream

Comment

this has happened to a lot of JG retainers...good thing you found out because a lot of people found out after something blew up :o
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yeah, its really scary! and yes the motor is still perfectly fine, besides this issue. ive got some other cool upgrades coming soon, so hopefully this will work out well too. just sucks, another thing to deal with now...

Current cars:

Comment

get some jun retainers and valve springs there working great on my H22. but i have a rough a$$ idle even with my tune still can't get it to idle better. just the camshaft profile and shit i dunno dun care but sorry to hear that man. at least the motor is still good and on a side note Sell me your t4w2 freaking can't find one still...tried all these site and no we don't sell it separately lol trade you my m2b4 for your t2w4 and some benjamins
          either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

so, what retainers u gonna use?
            JUN sounds good.. get some cams too

wow, what cool upgrades u got lined up??

i need 5 speed tranny, but not a T2W4, too close for my liking

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
            Honda Accord Euro-R
            Honda Odyssey Absolute
            Honda City I-DSi
            Honda Stream

Comment

well from quote above forgot to mention that the jun springs are the same as the b16/b18 jun springs same everything but different part #. its expensive japanese reliability not to rant on ferrah but there good 2 but after research for springs and hearing storys like yours i just spend the extra money and got those...
              either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Damn! so were u using JG retainers? this scares me on what to use for my head. hmmm what suprise would you be running im willing to bet somethin like some stage 2 cam's or maybe some n20 ehh?.

on a side note, you must have revved reallly really, really high lol because ive revved to 10k ONCE before...
                ]

Comment

i dont know about the project motor but is it sohc or "doc" ?

How did you know that this was gonna happen ? knocking tickin ?

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7
                    i dont know about the project motor but is it sohc or "doc" ?

How did you know that this was gonna happen ? knocking tickin ?

the h deuce deuce man and he mis shifted on a patch of ice or something if i recall.
                    ]

Comment

well after the valves were bent the first time (friend's misshift), i put a full set of Supertech flat valves in. just before i did that, i came across this set of springs and retainers for a really good price, figured id have them dropped in while it was apart. i was never in the market for a valvetrain so i didnt have the money for a good set. now its funny, its coming back to bite me in the ass. if it werent for the mishap with the valves again (long story, this time i did it, misshifted) i never would have found out about this issue, because it had been running fine. so good thing i bent the valves, or i would have had other MUCH more serious problems on my hands, like destroyed rods, pistons, cylinder walls, combustion chambers, etc.... lol. it sucks that the more i upgrade this car (lightened flywheel, higher compression, higher lift cam), the easier it gets to break things like bending the valves.

no definite plans, im going to end up doing whatever seems most cost effective and feasible... we will see. but hopefully itll be even more compression, with even higher lift cams!!! hahaha... whatever it is, youll of course be getting updates.
                      Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-10-2007, 12:48 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

Continue with the supertech valvetrain. I havent heard anything bad about them yet. I guess if you want Skunk2 havent heard them crapping out. Also JUN if you got cashflow.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Be very wary when buying.

There are many impostors out there.

Lots of stuff marketed as JG that isn't actually JG, etc.

They know there is a market, so they sell imitation knock offs.

It goes back to the old adage, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

I can't see true properly treated titanium failing like that. It is used in too many applications.

Maybe you should have one sent off, and tested. Just to see what grades it really is, etc.

If it is an authentic Ferrea, then I would go elsewhere.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

looks like im going with a skunk2 valvetrain details later, upon aquistion. be prepared for another large cpmike garage sale...

Current cars:

Comment

Nice...I forgot to add Bisi's Valvetrain. Damn I want a Skunk2 Pro Cam. Good power gains out of those things but dont have 600 dollars.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              I piss off people for fun.
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X