5th Gen Shifters fit (sorta) look inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Gen Shifters fit (sorta) look inside

Ok soo i been lookin high and low for interchangability between any honda/acura i can find. so when i hit the junkyard today i peeped inside a 5th gen and the center console was somewhat ripped apart. i look at the manual shifter, and think " that looks alot like ours. different but similar. looks like it should bolt up." so i nab it and come home and low and behold it bolts right up to the 4th gen. shifter bucket. i was intrigued. an wanted to compare the differences.

as you can see the 5th gen shifter on the LEFT is taller almost significantly.Keep in mind that both of these shifters are bolted to 4th gen shifter buckets. i also immediately noticed the shaft differences aside from the height. it has a different curve that goes forward and to the right instead of curved to the back. so this leads me to believe that perhaps side to side shifter feel may be different. ok now everyone is wondering what the "sorta" meant in my title. here it is

the circled area on the 5th gen shifter is slightly too large for our cable to fit on. its a minor fix tho. just bore the hole a little with a larger drill bit or, if you were so inclined. you could send one of these to yeamans or someone and and get a short shifter point welded onto it. it would forego the stock cable point and give you a road race style shifter. road racers tend to like taller shifters for easy access from the steering wheel. that in conjunction with the short shift bracket could make this an alternate option for people looking into short shifter with extended length. let me know what you guys think feel free to flame and what not. just trying to mix it up a bit. feedback welcome. this shifter assembly is also for sale if anyone would like to contact me about it feel free to PM me.

-sean
    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
    Arcadia Green Crew #10

now i feel stupid for thinking this is interesting. eh well now ya know

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

it was a comparison worth mentioning... without stuff like this, how would this forum have any information on it?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 93twodoorLX
        now i feel stupid for thinking this is interesting. eh well now ya know
        Ah, don't say that! I'm sure it's prob. been covered before, but I'm guessing a 5th gen short shift adapter could work on a CB shifter w/ some modification. So, the info you posted was helpful

Comment

well i did search before i posted it up. but nothing particular came up. well now i know that when someone does search for it, something specific will show up.

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

good info...very useful....so we know whats interchangeable
            My Members Ride Thread

Comment

update: i know that this discovery still isnt as ground breaking as the first guy to stick and h22 in a cb but i further inverstigated the situation to find that the shifters are indeed fully interchangeable. i went back to the junkyard to see if the shift cable bushing of of a 5th gen shift cable would fit inside the shift cable of a 4th gen. and viola!!! it does. so now i can say that 5th gen shifters are fully interchangeable with 4g's without any modification such as cutting or anything. just pop out your old shifter bushing on the cable and pop in the 5th gen one. i have a the fifth gen shifter with bushing needed for full swap for sale if anyone is interested in my not so astonishing find. lol. let me know what you guys think

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

the curve of the shifter is roughly the same as a bb2 prelude shifter.
                hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

Have you installed this part yet?

Any thoughts on shift feeling compared to the standard 4th gen shifter?

Comment

i am defintely going to install it mike. i very much believe it will have a completely different feel that what i got now (fushigi RES -1.5" short shifter). my belief is that it will have a more road race friendly feel to it, being taller than the cb shifter also with a higher cable mount than the cb it may also have a somewhat shorter shift "feel" to it. i just think it is interesting how the curve of it is different. i'll probably slap it in there sometime this week and give you's an update. but i think this could be a nice candidate for an autoX person that gets a short shifter bracket welded on or the neuspeed adapter. let me know what you guys think

-sean

Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Yep they are interchangeable. I called up Pspec when I wanted to get one of there ss (dont have money yet) but he said the 5th gen shifters are similar the the 4th gens other than one part rubbing but that can be fixed.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i have a bb2 lude i ought to go check if the shifter fits in my old cb7. both are under my knifes edge so now would be a good time. i'll let you know soon.
                        WTB:
                        88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                        OR
                        90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

ah this is something i'm quite interested in. i don't see the right hand bend being an issue b/c there is a left hand bend to compensate just right above the bucket. what concerns me is that it isn't bent BACKWARD to compensate for your consoles. it will most likely be at the wrong driving position.

but higher is better .
                          1cor10:31
                          - 92 LX coupe
                          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Working...
                          X