fuel tank ventilation / evap system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tank ventilation / evap system

ive had my charcoal canister and evap lines/solenoid removed for some time now. i capped off the vent line. ive only noticed minor vapor pressure when opening the gas cap, nothing too serious.

now my question is, is it alright for a fuel tank to be completely sealed? does it need to be vented from a safety standpoint, or is that only done for emissions/evap control reasons? i was reading on another forum that a sealed tank with building vapor pressures makes to be a dangerous fire hazard but as anything on the net goes, there are a group of people who complain that any non-OEM mod is bad.

im just curious if i should bother venting it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

I think it would be safer. The EVAP basically just catches the fumes in the charcoal canister and such so it prevents it from venting into the atmosphere. But if I remember there was a purge on the canister too. Remember seeing one on the civic dunno if our accords have one...but I would think that is to relieve some pressurer in the system.

EDIT: I think it purges back to the tank though. Do you remember where the tubing went? Plus Our caps on our gas tanks are ventilated too so I think you can loop it like so but not too sure.
    Last edited by NAiL05; 03-02-2007, 04:17 PM.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i just took mine off the other day. I don't think that plugging it is good even though gas doesn't blow off pressure unlike diesel fuel. I ran a tube from the vent line to the tank up to the spot on the TB where the vacuum line used to run to the evap cannister.
      vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

I believe there is a pressure release if there's more pressure than the EVAP system can bleed off through the intake line purge thing :P. I think that's by way of the cap and/or that valve thingy at the canister. As you can tell I'm not too sure.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

it stores fumes and burns them off while you are running high r's constantly like down the freeway.
          vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

Working...
          X