Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more flexpipe - new Honda style instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more flexpipe - new Honda style instead?

I went to my muffler guy today to have him check a leak and my flexpipe is leaking. He showed me what they use to replace it and told me it is a new style Honda piece that is stainless steel and lasts a lot longer than the traditional flex pipe does. I believe it is a ball joint style flex joint. Anyone else heard of or seen this?

hes right, it definately doesnt go bad as fast... but thats a relative term, how long would it take for a new flexpipe to go bad? another 5-10 years? many hondas used the ball joint instead of flexpipe, including some 90-91's and 94+ accords.

if youre getting it cut out and a new piece welded in, you can pick whichever you prefer... but be aware that if you go with the ball joint, if you ever have to replace your downpipe/cat in the future, itd be more work.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for the reply on this. My understanding is that they will cut out the flex pipe (this is a 93 EX) and just replace it with this ball joint style instead. The flange bolted to the cat would still be there - so if the cat goes bad it can but unbolted like normal - and if the downpipe goes bad then I would just replace it as normal (getting rid of this ball joint at the same time). They want $139 to do the job - which is the cheapest of the estimates that I got on this (others were $150, $175 and $250!).

Would it be a better option to just replace the entire downpipe with either a new or junkyard unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Dhorn33
        Thanks for the reply on this. My understanding is that they will cut out the flex pipe (this is a 93 EX) and just replace it with this ball joint style instead. The flange bolted to the cat would still be there - so if the cat goes bad it can but unbolted like normal - and if the downpipe goes bad then I would just replace it as normal (getting rid of this ball joint at the same time). They want $139 to do the job - which is the cheapest of the estimates that I got on this (others were $150, $175 and $250!).

Would it be a better option to just replace the entire downpipe with either a new or junkyard unit?
        dont bother with a junkyard downpipe. they have most likely been sitting for years, rusting away. if youre going to be spending the money, get something thats going to last you as long as possible. whole new downpipe & flexpipe swapped in, new flexpipe welded in, or the new ball joint... any would work as well as the others, i think the final factor is price

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yeah, I agree. And don't get a straight pipe instead. I learned the hard way. Get a new flex pipe.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

how bout new dc headers with the flex pipe?na just kiddin.
            Project EP hatch on the way

Comment

i replaced my entire down pipe a while back gotit through autozone its oem style dp and it was like 45 new

the build and demise
              buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Working...
              X