Manual Transmission leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Transmission leak

There is a 1/2 drive plug that is leaking from the trans.....this plug is located at the passenger side of the vehicle....you can see it well when removing the passenger side wheel/tire.

it feels nice and tight.......how do i go about fixing it (honda bond) and what is the danger in removing the plug....is that going to hurt anything

its a minor leak at this point

thanks

Get your OEM Accord Arm Rest here!!!

1993 Honda accord coupe 5 spd.
    2000 Ford F-150 supercab 2wd
    1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Where exactly is it? It may just be the filler bolt. Can you take a picture of it?
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

thats the fill plug. get a new crush washer for it, its the same size as the oil drain plug washer. as long as the car is level, nothing will happen if you pull it out.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
        thats the fill plug. get a new crush washer for it, its the same size as the oil drain plug washer. as long as the car is level, nothing will happen if you pull it out.
        x2. I think its dealer item too.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i don't belive that its the fill plug......it has no washer to replace......it appears to be a little higher than the fill plug....so if its out then i should lose no trans fluid......i will post some pics for you guys when i get to work......my dial up is killing me

thanks for the replys

1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Comment

is it directly to the left of the axle when looking from the passenger wheel? its a 3/8" drive socket? or do you mean those two flat large 1/2" drive plugs at the very end of the tranny, to the right of the axle? because those are removable, but only usually pulled to disassemble the tranny... drain the tranny oil and you can pull them out and put some thread sealant on them i guess. the only thing underneath them is the end of one of the shafts, its held in by a snap ring, so dont be scared to pull them out.
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-02-2007, 07:52 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
              is it directly to the left of the axle when looking from the passenger wheel? its a 3/8" drive socket? or do you mean those two flat large 1/2" drive plugs at the very end of the tranny, to the right of the axle? because those are removable, but only usually pulled to disassemble the tranny... drain the tranny oil and you can pull them out and put some thread sealant on them i guess. the only thing underneath them is the end of one of the shafts, its held in by a snap ring, so dont be scared to pull them out.

yeah it sounds like that 1/2 drive plug at the back of the trans......so nothing will happen pulling it out with all the trans fluid out of it???

thanks

here are some pics to help this thread out....

1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Comment

and a little closer...

1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Comment

Damn Curt, you're still rockin the dial-up! Thats a shame...

Anyway, are you sure that is what is leaking? Is there any oil above this plug? Just wondering because I've never seen one of those leak before.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

i am not seeing any above it...but you know the fluid is new so its really hard to see anyway......i wiped the plug and the underneath side of the trans clean and when i took these pix there was no leak there.....about 60 miles of driving on the car since i cleaned it.....i will monitor it and keep ya posted

got the oil pressure sending unit changed and no longer have oil leakage.....

1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Comment

Originally posted by curtietang
                      i am not seeing any above it...but you know the fluid is new so its really hard to see anyway......i wiped the plug and the underneath side of the trans clean and when i took these pix there was no leak there.....about 60 miles of driving on the car since i cleaned it.....i will monitor it and keep ya posted

got the oil pressure sending unit changed and no longer have oil leakage.....
                      Yeah put some miles on it, and next time I see you I'll check it out.

So aside from the leak, hows everything else? Did you get a new cat yet?

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

cat??? nope.....maybe one day though.....haha

I do have a pretty serious pwr steering pump leak.....must be the discharge side of the pump.....the line that connects the pump to rack......smaller line that goes from the pump arround the t-belt cover and down toward the rack.....it leaks even at idle......is there any gasket that seals this fitting to the pump or is it just that o-ring?

1997 Sea-Doo GSX

Comment

Originally posted by curtietang
                          cat??? nope.....maybe one day though.....haha

I do have a pretty serious pwr steering pump leak.....must be the discharge side of the pump.....the line that connects the pump to rack......smaller line that goes from the pump arround the t-belt cover and down toward the rack.....it leaks even at idle......is there any gasket that seals this fitting to the pump or is it just that o-ring?
                          I'll take a look at it, more than likely its an easy fix.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
                          X