The H23A Manual Tensioner conversion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
    I would reconsider the use of an extra washer, have you verified positively that that didnt just help it fit by causing the pulleys to sit at an angle now? off by a little bit, and it could help walk the belt off. its designed pretty precisely...
    x2

I got mine on putting up a fight

Comment

Easy

Mine went on easy...

I had quite a bit of play before I tightened the belt.

I have seen two different scenarios here. Some people report it nearly impossible to get on, and others just have an easy simple experience. We should really find out what is different.

So far 2000 miles and no problems, so I am assuming mine is on there right

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

All motors are different. I've done this swap on some motors in 1 hour, others have taking me and jacob 5 hours.

For the super tight fit belts, the best way to do it is by putting the belt over the gears, make sure theres no slack, put it under the crank timing gear, make sure theres no slack, then you need to pull the tensioner out from its nipple and have it sit at an angle. put the belt over the water pump, then you need to work the tensioner back onto the nipple. It takes some manuevering, but you'll get it.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          there was no possible way for the belt to go on though. The teeth didn't even line up level w/ the cam gear when we tried to get it on w/o the washer. Right now we used the H22 Water pump and this H22 belt. I was considering going H23 belt and pump but this worked. Havn't started the engine yet though.
          I would get rid of that crush washer before starting the engine. All the info that I looked at before doing mine referred to stated that the washer be exact on the spacing.

Just a thought.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I'll prove to you w/ pics that it works. None of the "angles" were affected. We did this OUT of the car, so we could see exactly what's going on.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I've never heard anything about this, but have had to do it every time I've done the conversion. It's been about five H22s now and always with all stock parts.

I try to put the belt on but it's too tight.
              I notice the timing tensioner is not going it's full deflection because it's hitting the right bolt that holds the plate that holds the (6x1mm) lockbolt for the tensioner.
              I make sure the offending bolt is torqued.
              I mark what side of the bolt head is in the way of the tensioner arm.
              I remove the bolt and grind about 1/3 of the head off of it.
              I put threadlocker on the bolt just to be safe and reinstall/retorque it.
              I check the angles and clearances and make sure the timing tensioner can go it's full deflection. i.e., make sure the tensioner's slot stops at the lockbolt.
              The timing belt goes right on.

No one else has noticed this?
              Last edited by lucid; 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
              After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
              Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
              PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Nope

I did not, because mine just slid right on

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                  I've never heard anything about this, but have had to do it every time I've done the conversion. It's been about five H22s now and always with all stock parts.

I try to put the belt on but it's too tight.
                  I notice the timing tensioner is not going it's full deflection because it's hitting the right bolt that holds the plate that holds the (6x1mm) lockbolt for the tensioner.
                  I make sure the offending bolt is torqued.
                  I mark what side of the bolt head is in the way of the tensioner arm.
                  I remove the bolt and grind about 1/3 of the head off of it.
                  I put threadlocker on the bolt just to be safe and reinstall/retorque it.
                  I check the angles and clearances and make sure the timing tensioner can go it's full deflection. i.e., make sure the tensioner's slot stops at the lockbolt.
                  The timing belt goes right on.

No one else has noticed this?
                  i agree, this happens to me EVERY single time. exactly as you describe.

personally i think it may be due to the fact that some people leave off the baseplate for the set screw that you mount in place of the old auto tensioner. technically its not really important, many people consider it an extra expense in the conversion and leave it off. i figure without either of the 12mm bolts (specifically that one) theres more room for the tensioner for ease of installation. either way, once you get the belt on, itll end up fitting so the tensioner will always land within its range when its all hooked up... to be safe i always install the plate and tighten the screw, but ive gotten the hang of getting the tight belt on.

its something to think about... and is often brought up, as you can see with the kind of responses that come up whenever its mentioned...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I just did one last night on a friends Prelude. It was one of those ****** hard ones!!!

I ended up putting the belt over the crank pulley last!!! Never done it like that before. I guess there is no specific way to do it on some motors.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It's kind of bs that this is never mentioned in the conversion guides I've seen, a few words of warning sure would have been nice.
                      Something like "Okay, I should mention in this guide it is possible that first you can get all these parts from the dealer, then install everything perfectly, only to get frantic, pissy, or generally feel like a moron because you and a friend may still not be able to get the timing belt on, but that's just how it is and you're on your own, haha sucks to be u".

Anyway, if you have a bench grinder, modifying the bolt so everything works right only takes about ten minutes, makes the job sweat-free, and actually ends with a satisfying feeling. Kudos to anyone who works around a tensioner with the wrong range.

Comment

yep, no problems so far, just drove 40 miles to break the H22 in a lil bit and see if anything was wrong....checked the position of the T belt and it didn't move from where it was set at. So idk, i'll keep tabs on it periodically. But wouldn't the balance belt prevent it from walking out?

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          yep, no problems so far, just drove 40 miles to break the H22 in a lil bit and see if anything was wrong....checked the position of the T belt and it didn't move from where it was set at. So idk, i'll keep tabs on it periodically. But wouldn't the balance belt prevent it from walking out?
                          No.

It would simply take that belt with it.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

can someone tell me if the h23 tensioner will work in a sh?

Comment

I would think so. It's still a P13 block, isn't it? I would think it uses the same belts and pump as any H22, it just has that weird ATTS trans thing going on.

Comment

just an update, engine has over 42k miles since the T-Belt was installed back in Nov 08' w/ this manual tensioner and its holding up great, not a problem since.

member's ride thread
                                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                                X