Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my h22 timing is 15 degree advanced. what will happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my h22 timing is 15 degree advanced. what will happen?

I had my timing checked by a timing gun and it showed that my timing is advance of 15 degrees and the mechanic said that the pros of it is it gives me better gas mileage, more horsepower, and the cons are my plug wires will wear out faster because of it being advance and its detonating/sparking earlier than its suppose too.and is that the reason why my car sometimes backfires? now are these statement true??????? and an off topic question is why is a car with a swapped engine also called a hybrid?
    Last edited by aznpnoyracer; 09-21-2006, 12:13 AM.

Originally posted by aznpnoyracer
    I had my timing checked by a timing gun and it showed that my timing is advance of 15 degrees and the mechanic said that the pros of it is it gives me better gas mileage, more horsepower, and the cons are my plug wires will wear out faster because of it being advance and its detonating/sparking earlier than its suppose too. now are these statement true??????? and an off topic question is why is a car with a swapped engine also called a hybrid?
    not really as far as the comment my stock f22 is at 15 degrees in the manual the boost says timing should be set at 15 degrees plus or minus 2 just leave it at 15 as for the h timing is at 16. as for the hybrid my opnion on that is its a motor from another car with a completely different purpose other than just driving the car back and fourth for jsut traveling from point a to point b purposes. Like for one racing. Others economy but from my view and others racing.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
      not really as far as the comment my stock f22 is at 15 degrees in the manual the boost says timing should be set at 15 degrees plus or minus 2 just leave it at 15 as for the h timing is at 16. as for the hybrid my opnion on that is its a motor from another car with a completely different purpose other than just driving the car back and fourth for jsut traveling from point a to point b purposes. Like for one racing. Others economy but from my view and others racing.
      ha! like always you come to the rescue, so my timing is alost perfectly normal, why is my car backfiring a little? could it be my dizzy?

Comment

are you shooting and check engine codes? timing should be at 16 degrees.whens the last tune-up u had?

Comment

Take it to a dyno advance it properly. Thats my opinion. I wouldnt fuck with timing on the street.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Wires, plugs or firing order... just a suggestion...

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
              are you shooting and check engine codes? timing should be at 16 degrees.whens the last tune-up u had?
              I never had a tune up since my swap wich was on febuary of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                Wires, plugs or firing order... just a suggestion...
                my wires are 8mm and they are only 7 months old and the plugs are pre gapped and are plat 2s. and I'm preaty sure the firing order are correct.

Comment

Did your mechanic happen to tell you the cons...aka leaning the fuel out which means blown motor. Advance timing properly too much your gonna be looking at a new motor.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    Take it to a dyno advance it properly. Thats my opinion. I wouldnt fuck with timing on the street.
                    setting it at the stock 16 shouldnt hurt anything, the stock ignition map advances it as far as ~30degrees(assuming you set it at the stock timing of 16 at idle).

Try running oem-spec copper plugs(NGK). Also check your camshaft timing. It's possible that your camshaft has jumped timing. The ignition should be adequate, but if not try installing a new coil. Run some fuel system cleaner, and make sure the gas is good(there are some guys who blew their engine from bad gas. sure, theyre rated the same octane, but the quality may vary from pump to pump).
                    -Kevin

1988 Honda Civi- D15B VTEC Dac Biet, my "race car"
                    1992 Honda Accord LX: DD until I finish school

Comment

Originally posted by K2e2vin
                      sure, theyre rated the same octane, but the quality may vary from pump to pump).
                      werd..
                      in the part of FL that i live in, we get most of our gas from louisiana. in order for them to ship it here, it has to be like 1 pt higher on octane than it does if they sell it in-state. so the lesser graded gas stays there, and we here get better quality gas. good stuff, if you ask me..

Comment

Look up your stock ignition timing specs for whatever motor you have and set it to that, this is called base ignition timing. When you said 15 deg advanced...advanced from what??!! stock base timing? If so, that's about 30 deg BTDC total? I hope you're at the 15-16 deg mark BTDC.

Anyhow, NGK plugs are best for Hondas, aren't plat 2's bosch? Bosch suck by design, don't use them. If you want platinum get NGK.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

cisco covered the timing. 15 btdc (before top dead center) is stock, so that sounds right.

hy·brid (n.)
                          2. a. Something of mixed origin of composition
                          (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

people call swapped cars "hybrids" because the vehicle is a mix of two other vehicles... a body of an accord with a motor of a prelude. people who put H22 heads on F22 blocks call these "hybrid motors" for the same reason. it doesnt have to do with the purpose of the elements, only their origin.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

thanks guys.

Comment