leaky trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaky trunk

i know some of you have this same exact problem. even though i live in sunny southern california, believe it or not but it does rain here too. and today, out of no where, it rained pretty HARD after following a heat wave.

i've had it with this leaky trunk! water even gets in when i wash the car. the bottom of my sub enclosure gets soaked as well as the carpet and floor board. it only started leaking after i got rear ended months ago. it seems the water enters through the chrome trim and into the tract of the rear windshield. water can also be entering via taillight because of a bad gasket, but this one cannot soak my subs since my subs are in the middle rear portion of the trunk. i'm more concerned about the windshield trim.

i've heard that there is a type of silicon glue that can find it's way to the cracks and seal them off. what exactly is it called? is there another fix? am i correct to assume that the water enters in the manner as described? is there another way the water enters my trunk? i'm just furious at this problem.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Havent had my car that long so I've just began to spot these out. Mine was leaking from a couple differnt places: 1)Power Antenea-rusted around the mount, a little water leaking in, not causing a lot to get in. 2)Factory spoiler-rusted around the mounts, middle mount causing a good amount of water to get in, discovered an icy spot forming on my carpet right under that middle mount, rust on inside. 3)Taillight(s)-when I lift the trunk water pours out of the trunklid right behind the taillight(could possibly be overflowing into the trunk. I think the trunk seal is fine on mine. I'm going to to have to check my rear window seal too, but I don't think thats it, all the water seems to be in the very back of the trunk. It collects in my spare tire well. Yeah, I've just been waiting for it to warm up so I can do the body work. Thats the only rust on my car(around the antenea and spoiler, and its just began to bubble a little around the rear wheel wells). I just want to get back out to AZ where it's dry. I think my car will like it out there. I just sold my 3rd gen. I drove back from there, It was solid as a rock. Hope this helps bro.
    Last edited by Kdub; 04-02-2004, 08:21 AM.

Comment

damn timmy, i know of the product you're talking about, but i really can't think of it's name.

as far as the taillights go, you may want to try drilling a few holes in the bottom of the taillights. that way, if water is getting in through the taillights, most of it will drain out of the bottom to the street (there is a bit of space betwen the car, taillights, and bumper). i've done this, out of necessity, and it helps, though does not solve the problem when there is a long torrential downpour (though infrequent, downpours do occur in socal from what i remember).

i haven't thought of the window trim around the rear glass being a source, but i suppose it's possible. i still can't think of the name of the product you were describing, but i know that when the front windshield is replaced, a black silicone product is put around the edges, and then the trim is reapplied to the car.
      i suppose you could risk taking the trim off of the car, but i guess you may risk breaking the rear window when you do this. and that'd be an expensive fix.

i suppose another possible source is the trunk itself- around the edges of the trunk.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

my trunk leaked like a mother a while back, it rained on day and my donut was completely submerged in a pool of water. there is a drainage hole at the bottom of the trunk, under the tire... make sure that is unclogged, itll help let water out even if some does make its way in.

one night it was raining i got into the trunk thru the back seat w/ a flashlight, ends up it was mostly due to my taillights not sealing to the trunk lid. i bought a tube of black silicone goop to seal around the foam gaskets, havent put it on yet... but it also seems like my trunk is leaking from the bottom edge of the rear window, like you mentioned. im pretty sure its possible, the trim is peeling up a bit and the glue underneath is dried up.

you should try that, get in the trunk and look for wet spots on the carpet (right when it first starts raining), look for drips or small rust spots up above, follow the corroded lines where it looks like water traveled, and find ur leaks.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i have the same problem too. i put silicone around the rear brake lights...no more problems.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

yeah that is it. check this out.

and the next one

no more water,,, no more wet floor and no more wet back seats. just make sure u don't have anyother places that leak water in the trunk.
            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

mine leak through my tail lights and through the window trim...blah sucks ass, i gues i will pull the window trim and silicone around it.

also my wifes car leaks she has a 4th gen too, and man her trunk is all fucken moldy... i have to find that, but its been pouring down rain for so long.
              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I never noticed this until I shaved a few lines on my trunk and now everytime it rains i see it,, im gonna pick up some silicone tomm and hook it up.. supposed to be around 67... whoooopeeeeeeee

Comment

get some clear silicone if possible. thats what i used. i dont notice a difference.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

sweet I will

Comment

Funny, earlier today, before reading this, I spent the about an hour today trying to figure out how a little pond was able to form in my sisters CB7 trunk, and the tail lights are what I thought the problem was, and I did the exact same thing with the clear silicone.

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

thanks for the insight you guys. i'll try sealing the taillights. it's still pretty cloudy here and it rains a little. i just used masking tape on certain spots on the trim as a temporary fix. it also serves as a test to see if i actually blocked off where the water is leaking in. the taillights are next. if i'm successful, then i should know exactly where the leak really is. again, thanks guys!
                        1cor10:31
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut
                          mine leak through my tail lights and through the window trim...blah sucks ass, i gues i will pull the window trim and silicone around it.

also my wifes car leaks she has a 4th gen too, and man her trunk is all fucken moldy... i have to find that, but its been pouring down rain for so long.

great rear here

I had the WORST time with a leaky trunk/trunk mold until I finally just got fed up with it and did something about it. The sources of my leaks eminated from my driver's side outer tailight (I didn't have a gasket since the aftermarket ones that came with the red/clears ripped, my dad threw away my oem ones : / ) The second cause of my leak was the little air vent on the drivers side in front of the driver's side outer taillight. Anywho, I finally just bought a new set of red/clears and replaced all the gaskets and made sure everything was flush, and then I caulked the perimiter of the air vent. No more leaks for me.

However, I had to throw away all my trunk carpeting and also toss my subs and bass box in the process, as nothing would completely rid them of mold. After doing some reading, I found out that if exposed to this kind of mold for a period of time, it can cause neural damage and headaches and memory loss, etc. All the experts say to toss all moldy carpets unless you have industrial mold killers (some kinda expensive gadgets they use to kill mold, as well as special mold killing solutinos).

So now I'm down to a stripped down trunk, but after cleaning all the metal thorougly and sprinkling it with baking soda and letting it air out for a few weeks, the smell seems to be gone, and my mold problems eliminated. I'd suggest you toss all the carpeting if you have mold issues...it caused me these terrible headaches and it's definitely not good for ya.

My members ride thread

Comment

lose the carpets and use bleach to clean the trunk. bleach kills everything dude.
                            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                              lose the carpets and use bleach to clean the trunk. bleach kills everything dude.
                              thx man...but my problem is already fixed...mold can't grow on bare non-porous metal after it's been wiped down with baking soda and aired out in the sun. I know about bleach but I didn't use bleach because I didn't want to ruin the paint finish on the trunk metal...it woulda faded it and/or make it flake. Thanks anyways

My members ride thread

Comment

Working...
                              X