Timing belt visual inspection??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing belt visual inspection??

I am currently at 210,xxx miles and am seriously thinking about getting the timing belt done very soon. I am unsure when the timing belt was last done, but I'm guessing 90 to 100k miles.

I've searched about this and have found mixed answers. Will a belt that needs replacing show any physical signs of wear? What would be the easiest way to inspect the belt?

I know the best thing would be to go ahead and get a new belt, but I need a couple more days until I have the time/money to get this done.

Members Ride Thread

If you dunno best thing is to get it changed asap. If you need a couple of days just baby the car for a while and it should be fine.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
      If you dunno best thing is to get it changed asap. If you need a couple of days just baby the car for a while and it should be fine.
      Yeah that's definitely what I'm going to be doing but I need to examine it so I can see if there is any wear.

Members Ride Thread

Comment

you need to replace it every 90k regardless of what it looks like.....
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the same boat as you

Comment

it may look perfectly fine, its not like the belt starts shredding or something before it breaks. drive normally and go buy a belt... if its visibly cracking or falling apart, its WAYYYYY too old.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I bought my red 91 DX Accord with 200,XXX miles on it and did not know either if the timing belt package was done on the car. However, after browsing some invoices from the previous owner I seen that it was changed around the 100,000 mile mark, but no signs of a 200,000 mile change. Anyhow, at 210,000 miles on this car I had all the project parts installed and did the timing belt package at the same time and let's just say the timing belt was cracked up the a$$ and I was lucky it did not snap on me.

So just suck it up, save up and change it! If you want to save money, learn how to do it yourself. I would also take the time to change out the front engine seals (camshaft and crankshaft seals) and install the front balancer shaft seal retainer and a new seal for this balancer shaft as well. You will need a new OEM Honda timing belt and balancer belt as well with a new OEM Honda waterpump too. I would just change the accessory belts too while you're at it, so you know they were all done at same time.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
              X