crank pulley help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crank pulley help

ok well i bought a crank pulley off of sparkle to replace mine, go to put it on and it didn't fit... i ended up getting another crank pulley off another accord... i believe a DX (cb7) and still, didn't fit. they were both too small,

now what i noticed was on my crank pulley it has like 3 circles, marked on it, while the other 2 have 4 circles...

i'm thinking i need a crank pulley with 3 circles? anyone know the differences?

and before someone tells me to make sure the key hole is lined up it is

ive come across three types of crank pulleys in my adventures.

first, USDM f22 pulley. notice the hex shape is set back in the deep center. two rows, 5 rib.

second, JDM H22 pulley. hex shape is set out on the outermost edge. two rows, 6 rib.

third, JDM h22 euro-r. single row 6 rib.

as far as diameter is concerned, the f22 one is biggest, the two h22 ones are a bit smaller.

what are these circles youre talking about? do you mean the two small ones cut into the outer ring of the first CP? im almost positive those are balancing marks, where they machined bits of material out to balance it. # of marks is irrelevant.

all 3 types are interchangeable and fit on each other's cranks. how small was too small? was it clearly the wrong size? they are a tight fit, and need to be installed as straight as possible to get it to line up. try putting a bit of grease, and make sure the key is sitting totally against the crank. if its been pushed out itll interfere.

are you swapping them with the motor still in the car? sometimes youll have just barely enough room to remove the old one, but not quite enough room to get the new one straight enough to slide on, and even the slighest bit of a wrong angle will make it so it doesnt fit.

try lowering the motor a bit, or have somebody use a crowbar in the driver side mount, and pry the motor over to the passenger side a bit. itll give you more room.

[img]http://www.****.com/pics/crankpulleys/000_0343.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://www.****.com/pics/crankpulleys/000_0345.jpg[/IMG]

[img]http://www.****.com/pics/crankpulleys/000_0344.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Is this what you mean by the three holes?this is the pulley my f22b came with but i swapped it out with my f22a6 one because it was chipped and i didnt know if it would cause any balancing problems.Also, i have the oem accord manual infront of me, and the picture of the pulley has three holes to...

ILBB

Edit:nv, i figured they were balancing holes to.
      Last edited by Ilikebigbutts; 07-08-2006, 09:33 PM.
      People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
      The world needs to be reset.

Comment

yea, those are what i'm talking about... so they're just balacing marks ok... i guess i'll try throwing some grease on there... its weird cause i can get my old pulley on and off just fine, but i can't get the new ones on or off... but i'll try it again

edit: and i do have the driversides motor mount "disabled" so the motor is dropped down

Comment

You put the key on the right way? Is it settled in? That could be your problem sometimes and you might have to wiggle it on a lil.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            You put the key on the right way? Is it settled in? That could be your problem sometimes and you might have to wiggle it on a lil.
            yes it is in the right way and settled in, i think i've got it started on after using a little bit of grease to help it along, but how do i get it on all the way, i dont have a rubber hammer or anything like that to use, so just keep pushing?

Comment

Take out the driverside engine mount and let the engine drop while car is jack up or on the lift. There should be more room to work with crankshaft pulley.
              1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
              2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
              3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
              4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
              5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

Use a wood block as a hammer or to hammer on so you don't damage the pulley. Chilton's says use fresh engine oil on inside pulley surface and bolt. You could probably just put a piece of 2x4 against the pulley and hit that with a rock if you have any of those in your toolbox

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Originally posted by lucid
                  Use a wood block as a hammer or to hammer on so you don't damage the pulley. Chilton's says use fresh engine oil on inside pulley surface and bolt. You could probably just put a piece of 2x4 against the pulley and hit that with a rock if you have any of those in your toolbox

i was thinking that, i have the wood block and hammer out already... thanks

Comment

just doesn't seem like its going on any further, i doubt its on all the way cause if i hit one side it will go more to that side, and it will keep going more towards that one area i hit so i dont think its sitting flush... will it tighten all the way if i put the nut on there all the way and crank that down?

Comment

Be careful!!! You do not want to strip the threads of your crankshaft or bolt trying to wedge on something that may not be right. Maybe if you already had it halfway on and straight with the seat. I would....Take steel wool to the mating surfaces of the pulley and the crankshaft to make sure there was no rust or gunk that's keeping them from sliding together, then spray with PB Blaster or WD-40 and rub by hand to make sure everything feels smooth, also make sure to remove any steel wool pieces before reassembly. Then put motor oil on the crankshaft and try to knock the pulley on again from the center to try to keep things straight. Don't hit so hard that it goes crooked and locks up, and if one side goes on further, hit the opposite side next. Hitting the center would be preferable. If it still doesn't look like it's going on, don't force it to the point where other parts are in danger. If everything's clean, you should be able to slide it on easily by hand...really.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                      After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                      Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                      PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Try using a large socket and extension. Then just tap the end of the extension with a rubber mallet. That should help keep it center.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
                          i dont have a rubber hammer

i got it now... just gotta torque it all down tomorrow, thanks for the help everyone

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord

i got it now... just gotta torque it all down tomorrow, thanks for the help everyone
                            it eventually just slid on, right?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

not really slid on, but i got it started enough to were i could thread the pulley bolt a few turns and thenf inish it with the impact gun

Comment

Working...
                              X