H22 w/ blown HG - worst scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 w/ blown HG - worst scenario?

I know a guy selling a H22 with blown head gasket, assuming he didnt drive it much after the gasket blew, can the gasket be replaced and the engine salvaged?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Usually. I dont see why you couldnt. What happens when people bring their cars into a shop with a blown HG? It gets replaced.
    No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

It can certainly be salvaged. Worst case scenario is the coolant leaked into the oil taking away its lubricating properties and it causes a spun or over heated bearing or the piston rings scratch the the cylinder walls
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

worst case would be a warped head, which i dont think is really that common. and if it is, you could get it machined id assume.

djspeedy is right, what does everybody usually do when the HG blows? replace it...

how much is he asking for the motor?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Check the head for warpage...

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

400 CDN...obviously id garage sale him a bit.

how do I check for warpage?

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
              400 CDN...obviously id garage sale him a bit.

how do I check for warpage?
              I dunno, that's just what my mom said when I asked her...

J/K, I guess take it to a shop...you're probably gonna have to anyway. Peel the head off and let a mechanic check it out.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

to check the head for warpage you have to have it put on a flat surface and the machine will measure it with lazers or the other method a straight edge. The straight edge has a machined off slat surface and looking at it if you notice if it has a side that comes out more or goes in more = warped . Then you have to get it resurfaced the machine is held in place then the machine comes across from the bottom and cuts across the bottom nice and evenly after being measured and how much you want taken off.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                  to check the head for warpage you have to have it put on a flat surface and the machine will measure it with lazers or the other method a straight edge. The straight edge has a machined off slat surface and looking at it if you notice if it has a side that comes out more or goes in more = warped . Then you have to get it resurfaced the machine is held in place then the machine comes across from the bottom and cuts across the bottom nice and evenly after being measured and how much you want taken off.
                  This man knows what he's talking about...

And Mike stop perpetrating, we both know you ain't got no damn lining in your trunk

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                    This man knows what he's talking about...

Yeah.

Anyways, a steel ruler and set of feeler gauges will tell you if it's warped or not.
                    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Flycutting 5 or 10 thousandths off the mating surface is usually enough to restore trueness. Unless you're purposely trying to raise compression, you of course want to aim for the minimum.

Comment

cool thanks guys, I will inquire.

Comment

Well if the block is still good then you can spend some money building up the bottom end. But as mentioned a straight steel ruler will show you if the block is warped.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

ok so a straight edge will work. I was just wondering how precise a measurement id have to get. Really, id like to tear down this motor at home, check it for warpage, if it needs milling then take it to a shop, otherwise replace it all at home

Comment

i'd probably get it resurfaced anyways. its only like $45 at most machine shops.
                              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Working...
                              X