Engine mount bushing install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine mount bushing install

Okay, this may qualify me for the stupid question of the day, but what all is involved in replacing engine mount bushings with polyurethane bushings? Common sense tell me that if you unbolt the engine from the part that's holding it up, gravity takes over and the motor drops, and you have to somehow lift it back into position to reattach it to the mount. Is this the case, or is the engine secure enough that when you unbolt the mounts one at a time, litte or no relative movement occurs?

Thanks.
    I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

the engine will be fine resting on 3/4 mounts, even 2, if its the two sides. put a jack with a block of wood under the motor to hold it up to be extra safe. thatll also give you the option to move the motor up and down a bit to help wiggle the mounts free.

one issue... they only make urethane inserts for the front mount, none of the others some people (including myself) use a can of liquid polyurethane and pour it into the mounts, and let it set, and youll have solid polyurethane mounts, for only like $35. but thats more work, all 4 mounts need to be pulled out at the same time, and they take a day to cure.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

on that note make sure the mounts are evenly placed on a nice flat surface at room temperature out of harms way and physical disturbance. And if the motor is gonna sit use 2 jackstands wit one end supported under the engine oil pan with a 4x4 in between them both . As for the tranny you can place the normal jack under it no biggie. and let it set for a day.

Comment

With the liquid polyurethane, do you just pour it in the gaps of the old rubber bushings (creating a "hybrid" solid mount), or do you remove the old bushings and fill the entire mount opening? If so, how do you keep the mount hole located in the middle?

Comment

i believe you just pour it into the gaps in the mount.. no need to remove the old bushing.. just fill it in

Frost White CB7 Crew #26

Comment

fill in between and around the old rubber, theres enough space thatll be filled in that itll end up being pretty solid. realize that its going to add a bunch of vibration to your chassis, your chassis buzzes and your interior is going to shake at idle... but besides that, filled mounts feel great...

what you have to do is COMPLETELY seal off one side of the mount using electrical tape, make sure theres NO HOLES WHATSOEVER because this urethane will find its way out. lay the mount on its side and fill it up, and when its totally cured, peel the tape off the one side.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

As for vibrations, I'm an autocrosser, so the more I feel the car the better. Besides, it's a free butt massage

Comment

Working...
              X