tach problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach problem

my tach reading is off like crazy. it hangs a 4k rpm and its goes up in notches. can this be fixed? how? what causes this?
    it's been a while but i'm back!!

Your magnet in the needle housing is could be messed up. Other than that no way to really fix it, if its bad you most likely will have to replace the whole unit. Or if you want, take the cluster out, take the needle out and install it at 0rpm and see what happens.
    FOR SALE on cb7tuner only for now. Want it in the right hands
    Pm meX
    I do swaps in NYC/LI area: Hit me up for a quote.

MY WHIP
    H22A Swap
    I'm 'THE STIG'

Comment

DONT TAKE OUT THE NEEDLE! it will break the guage if you pull the needle out! you cant just take the needle off without pulling out the metal stem that allows it to rotate and removing it will ruin your guage.
      10th anniversary crew #1

Comment

Originally posted by 90cb7beast
        my tach reading is off like crazy. it hangs a 4k rpm and its goes up in notches. can this be fixed? how? what causes this?
        Three possibilities to look at.........1) your dizzy could be going for a walk, 2) your VSS could be going bad, 3) [which was my problem with your symptoms] your ignition switch, the one behind the key cylinder that goes down to the fuse block) is going bad. If its the latter, it will get worse and come very quick -i.e. over a few days instead of like once or twice a week. Then the car won't stay running after letting go of the key.

If it comes to that point, try letting the key come back slightly after starting so that the starter isn't enguaging but the key isn't all the way into the run position either. This will tell you that the switch is bad. Hope this helps.

Comment

happen to have installed gauge faces recently?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Also be sure to check the groud wire under the dizzy that bolts into the engine block the harness engine ground it should be a 10mm bolt. Make sure thats not loose aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
              Also be sure to check the groud wire under the dizzy that bolts into the engine block the harness engine ground it should be a 10mm bolt. Make sure thats not loose aswell.
              if that was loose, he wouldnt have spark and the motor wouldnt run.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
              X