Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blow'd up upper radiator hose, questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blow'd up upper radiator hose, questions?

I'm driving along, doot-doo-dooot (that's me humming along to some rap) and all of a sudden, like a double A, M-C-O commercial, thick steamish smoke starts pouring from my hood. I'm like "shit". I pull the beast over and there's coolant on the front of the block. "Did it crack?" I and go to my job which is like 2 blocks away...then crack the hood open again. I search for the drip, and thankfully it's just the upper hose.

Now my question is this: what exactly does this mean? I'm glad it's not my block...but is this a sign of a crapped thermostat? The hose is kind of visibly swollen (no homo)...should I check for other stuff? The only things I've replaced are the radiator as far as the cooling system goes.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

after so many years, the inside of the hose starts to wear away, and the reinforcement threads in the rubber start to split... when a hose is swollen, its a sign that thats happening, and it leads to splitting, as youve found out haha... thats why youre supposed to check hoses by giving them each a squeeze (bad hoses go limp/soft), so you can tell if thats happening...

just replace the hose and make sure your coolant is filled and bled all the way and you should be fine.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Sounds good. Bah...I have to drive my mom's car though. Not so good...

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

you were driving around listening to rap!?! *gasp* there's your problem!

j/k

glad it wasn't anything serious like your block
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

as the dude said rubber isnt forever....but here is what id do.

since you got the majority of the coolant out, go ahead and replace the lower radiator hose and the thermostat as well...it will only take a few more minutes...haha usually i just take the radiator out adn do it, its a bit easier.

id also check if u have any oil leaks by the head cause there is some coolant hoses there....the hoses will become soft and very easilly failable. this girl came to me and blew one of them small hoses and i felt the hose and it was super soft due to the oil in her car. just something to look for since you got alot of the fluid out of the system.
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
            this girl came to me and blew one of them small hoses and i felt the hose and it was super soft due to the oil in her car. just something to look for since you got alot of the fluid out of the system.
            is it wrong that when i read this, my mind hit the gutter and it took me a while to figure out what you were actually talking about?

Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
              is it wrong that when i read this, my mind hit the gutter and it took me a while to figure out what you were actually talking about?
              No. I still don't know what he's trying to say

Comment

@ your sig...I wanted to say "no homo @ all this limp hose talk"...to say the least it makes me uneasy...

But yea I just fixed it, changed the clamp. The hose was too long, so I'm gonna have to cut it down. Suxors, the ballsack

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                  @ your sig...I wanted to say "no homo @ all this limp hose talk"...to say the least it makes me uneasy...

But yea I just fixed it, changed the clamp. The hose was too long, so I'm gonna have to cut it down. Suxors, the ballsack
                  suxors the limp hose btw for future reference, autozone pre-moulded hoses are almost always the wrong length... they get the shape right, but you usually need to cut the ends to match the stock hose. which, you noticed

Current cars:

Comment

What the fuck...I changed the hose and the shit's still steaming. It's only when the car is running, which says to me that something is block...WTFAKK???

Comment

where is it streaming from? later.
                      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

It's steaming/leaking from the flippin radiator. Looks like your boy is making his 6th trip to Autozone.

Comment

the thing to do is to flush the coolant out and replace all the hoses/thermostat and any other little coolant parts. when u overheat, it puts alot more stress on the other cooling components.

so if your car overheats, replace all hoses.

i hope u get it fixed
                          My members ride thread

Comment

koyo time? later.
                            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

sounds like your thermostat is sticking shut..replace it with oem honda one ..20 bucks. and get yourself some silicone radiator hoses.

Comment

Working...
                              X