Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch break-in period... do highway miles count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch break-in period... do highway miles count?

I have over 300 miles on my new clutch (in 2 days... go me! ) but the majority of those miles are highway miles. Does that count, or is it the constant engage/disengage of city driving that really breaks it in? I want to hit the track soon, but I want to make sure my clutch is ready for the beating!

You'd have to actually *use* the clutch for it to count.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

They recommend stop and go driving for the break in. And if you do highway they say its going to take longer.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

if your not using the clutch, than your not breaking it in. on the highway you rarely use it, so go drive around the city for a couple hours during stop and go traffic.

Comment

mike, drive up to NYC between 5-6pm, go crosstown on either 34th st, 42nd st, or 57th st.. that clutch will be broken in for sure.. and you'll probably catch a leg cramp as well
          5.6L V8 32V DOHC
          JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I guess I'll have to take some nice long rides during rush hour! Feathering the new clutch isn't going to hurt anything? I usually try to release fairly quickly and smoothly...

Comment

Gimme that car! I'll put 500 stop and go miles on it in 4 days.
              Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
              -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
              MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

it actually took about 600 miles for my xtd stage 2 clutch to fully come to life. the more i ripped on it after 500 miles of stop and go driving the better it felt.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                  mike, drive up to NYC between 5-6pm, go crosstown on either 34th st, 42nd st, or 57th st.. that clutch will be broken in for sure.. and you'll probably catch a leg cramp as well
                  yeah fuck NYC.

Primo how do you ddrive in teh city. If i was any lower then neuspeed race id be fucked. and ur kitted, lowered and have wheels. ah

Comment

Originally posted by uslspct
                    Gimme that car! I'll put 500 stop and go miles on it in 4 days.
                    Yeah, I suppose you would!

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                      going crosstown on 42nd is intense.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Deev, I do highway driving mostly to work and back everyday. So it took longer for me to actually break-in my clutch because of this. What really helped was the small Chicago meet we had in February..all that city driving, etc helped out.

City driving is what you need...so do alot of it on the weekends doing errands, etc.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

I got stuck in traffic for 10-15 minutes today going to work, and I took the back roads home Every yellow light I came to, I stopped.

How will I know when it's properly broken in? I figure I'm going to take it to 1000 miles or so to be safe. Right now, the engagement in 1 and 2 is pretty rough... I often get a nice rough thunk. Sometimes I can get it smooth. Will that smooth out as it breaks in more? Should I be doing my best to keep it as smooth as possible, or would that be harmful (slower pedal work is smoother, but I'm afraid it's not good...)

Comment

Crosstown on 42nd is RIDICULOUS.... You could literally walk circles around everyone forever...
                            Hey deeve, guess the tranny is ok? Lemme know whats up!

Comment

im about to break 400 on mine and it feels pretty good righ tnow, the chatter is almost going away
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X