No announcement yet.

Properly installing an axle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would i check?is there like a part# or something?

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

You can really tell if you got the wrong side. The drivers side is way longer than the passenger side.
      And pull out the axle and check the end that goes into the transmission and see if it shows any damage or if it has any marks that would show if its going in all the way.
      And if you can take it back to the store and ask them to see another axle and measure up yours with the ones that they have.
      Like i said they could made a mistake with the axles and u got a tad bit shorter one. the one i had a problem with was maybe 1/4 in too short or so. I remember my uncle hit it in till it went in and the car drove like 20 miles at 55 miles per hour home and only then I put serious pressure on it and it popped out.
      Also when I had the right axle for the car it went in without any hammering or hitting it.

Comment

the two axles are only different by about an inch if i remember correctly.
        i know this because I mixed my two axles up when I swapped my engine. They are very close to each other, but far enough off to make a difference.
        ->92 EX 5spd

you shouldn't have to bang the axle in. just light pressure usually does the trick, maybe a soft face hammer on the end of it.

i can't tell you how many times i've swapped axles on CB7s, and my EG6 civic. I've NEVER had a problem with it not staying in. I would take the axle out, and bring it to the parts store, ask to compare it to another axle. They do make mistakes, and quite frequently might i add.
        The CB7 Timeline

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower
          the two axles are only different by about an inch if i remember correctly.
          i know this because I mixed my two axles up when I swapped my engine. They are very close to each other, but far enough off to make a difference.
          ->92 EX 5spd

you shouldn't have to bang the axle in. just light pressure usually does the trick, maybe a soft face hammer on the end of it.

i can't tell you how many times i've swapped axles on CB7s, and my EG6 civic. I've NEVER had a problem with it not staying in. I would take the axle out, and bring it to the parts store, ask to compare it to another axle. They do make mistakes, and quite frequently might i add.
          An inch??? Your kidding me right? Anyway take a soft face hammer and bang it in while twisting the axle a lil so eventually the splines will line up. You will hear a click or thud sound when the axle goes in.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
            An inch??? Your kidding me right?
            manuals have a half shaft with 2 equal length axles (well maybe not equal length, thats just what I always assumed... apparently they may be about an inch different) but anyways autos have the huge difference in length since there is no half shaft. Just thought I'd clarify that since there seems to be some confusion.
            HSHO #3

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordEX
              manuals have a half shaft with 2 equal length axles (well maybe not equal length, thats just what I always assumed... apparently they may be about an inch different) but anyways autos have the huge difference in length since there is no half shaft. Just thought I'd clarify that since there seems to be some confusion.
              ah yes, thats right i forgot about that. But yea manual is equal length almost cuz of the intermediate shaft. When i compared the 2 there is a slight difference though.

I forgot about that, and thats why I specifically noted that what I was talking about was a 92 Ex 5 SPEED !

be attentive! and good call 93accordEX
              The CB7 Timeline

Comment

i always sit the rounded end of a breaker bar on the edge of the CV joint, and give it a good whack with a hammer, it should pop in, same idea as using wood... just make sure you dont put any sharp edges on the rubber when doing this or itll cut into the boot.

take it back out, bring it back to autozone and say they gave you the wrong one. they cant argue with you, you tried it, and the "splines dont fit whatsoever" - get them to give you a new one (even tho u might already have the right one) and reinstall that

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

If you are having the same problem with a bunch of different axles, you could have a worn differential pinion shaft inside the trans. Have you tried a Honda Remanufactured shaft?

I've found the easiest way to put the inner in is to place the inner joint inside the trans. and using the outer joint, you have to twist the shaft ever so slightly until the spline sets in correctly. Then pull back about an inch (not too far so you don't undo the inner joint) and push in until you get the "click." Works like a charm and you don't run the risk of forcing it in with the splines not set correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
                    If you are having the same problem with a bunch of different axles, you could have a worn differential pinion shaft inside the trans. Have you tried a Honda Remanufactured shaft?

I've found the easiest way to put the inner in is to place the inner joint inside the trans. and using the outer joint, you have to twist the shaft ever so slightly until the spline sets in correctly. Then pull back about an inch (not too far so you don't undo the inner joint) and push in until you get the "click." Works like a charm and you don't run the risk of forcing it in with the splines not set correctly.
                    Thats what i'm scared of, how easy would it be to fuck my tranny internals?I'll just pull it out and go get another one.

ILBB
                    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Working...
                    X