F22a1 - Bad Head Gasket? - Drivability Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22a1 - Bad Head Gasket? - Drivability Question

I suspect that my head gasket may be going on my F22a1. I had all the belts and water pump replaced, along with a full coolant flush. Now I'm seeing the tell tale signs of white smoke. I'm assuming its a bad head gasket. I still haven't checked the coolant yet, but its on the list. It gets dark so early that when I get home from my job I can't see anything because its so hard out.

Now, I'm aware that having a BHG will affect drivability. I'm not seeing any real evidence yet. My car still runs reasonably well. It still pulls well. My question lies in, will this eventually degrade? My temperature gauge shows operating temperatures in the normal levels (god I hope its accurate).

My reasoning is that I won't be driving the car much after the end of the year, and eventually want to upgrade. However, I will be making a roughly 6 hour trip in the spring and I just want to make sure the car will be able to make it, assuming I see no degradation in drivability.

i wonder how much a shop would charge to do a quick leakdown test... that would tell you right then and there whats up... sorry if i have nothing else to contribute besides that one suggestion.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

First thing is to check the coolant. Second..how much white smoke are you talking about? Desribe what you see when you start the car and after it warms up. It is cold outside when you made this observation? I know that may sound stupid but are you sure it isn't condensation from the hot air meeting the cold air of the atmosphere? (people have confused that before) If it turns out to actually be a blown head gasket that is shoiwng enough white smoke to notice then you have a serious problem and the car should not be driven unless you want to replace the motor.

Comment

If it's a bad heagasket or your head is leaking coolant, you will notice your engine temps going up. If you're engine temps start going above where it normally peaks at (don't wait for it to overheat), I would keep a real close eye on it and if it does get up there...stop driving it and fix the issue. An overheated engine can bring about alot more problems in other systems if you let it happen.

And if you do end up removing the cylinder head and doing some work, CHECK the headgasket thoroughly and see if it is indeed the cause of the problem. It may not be and it may be in the cylinder head itself. To test the head, pressurize the coolant passages within the head itself and spray some soap water checking for leaks.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
        X