Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use AUTORX or SEAFOAM in engine flusH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody use AUTORX or SEAFOAM in engine flusH?

90 ex, 83k, auto.

I was curious if you guys tried an engine flush with auto rx or seafoam? I've heard good things bout SEAFOAM, and recently discovered AUTORX. SEAFOAM is about $7-8 bucks but this AUTO RX 6 bottles for $20 or 1 for $25.

Now, I don't knwo if this is BS or whatever or if it hurts my engine more than it does good. So any ideas?

I notice sludge and carbon buildup in my engine by just opening the oil cap. I dont' see the same with my other cars. This is probably cuz of neglect, and delayed oil changes. In fact my 3rd gen I once had looked much cleaner, no visible sludge, carbon buildup.

So what do you guys think and should I try it or is it just a BS, waste? For seafoam how does that work? Do I drive X MILES with it or let it idle, then drain? With auto-rx they tell you to drive X miles and etc..
    hahahahah

i was getting a "fuel system" check engine light, 198k on the stock f22, and it made the motor run like crap... eventually that made an o2 sensor light start to come on too...

parked the car and ran the seafoam procedure (printed on the can if u dont know it) into the intake mani and poured a bottle of the coolest looking Fuel System Cleaner i could find, and then kept it in D3 while going down the highway. couple days later both CEL's went off and ive never had a problem since, and the car runs well now.

whether it was the seafoam or FS cleaner, whatever it was, it worked beautifully. gas mileage is better now too.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I havent ever heard anything about flushing the engine with anything. Figured there has to be something, but on older engines, it might end up hurting them.

but, Seafoam, you suck up through a vacuum hose while running, and if you are really daring, some people put just a little bit in the cylinders to eat that stuff up. If you put too much though... hydrolock, so i've never tried that route.

Comment

Ya, I haven't really checked the bottle of seafoam cuz I'm still evaluating. I did notice though they make seafoam for marine applications, and etc.

I know there's a couple of ways you can use SEAFOAM. I'll try see about the ENGINE FLUSH, as that's what I want to do most. Maybe add some in the gas tank too??

Well thanks. anybody with experience feel free to chime in.
        hahahahah

Comment

It can only help so much. It isn't magic, I use it every so often and I'm happy with it, but there's only so much it can do by itself.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

True, But i'd still give it a shot.

So seafoam in engine and fuel tank?? 2 bottles total?

Then an oil change. Thing is, I just changed my oil a while back, but the filter should still be good.
            hahahahah

Comment

Seafoam recommends 1/3 in tank, 1/3 in intake, 1/3 in oil I believe. 1 bottle total.

Comment

I once emailed Seafoam and they said you didn't have to do an oil change if you add some to your oil...But if you decide to do an oil change, leave it in there from 25-50 miles.

Comment

Yeah, make sure you just run it in your oil BEFORE you do an oil change and only drive for five miles or so to let it cycle, then drain and fill with fresh oil. It WILL destroy your seals.
                  -Jay

Comment

Originally posted by FishyMan
                    Then an oil change. Thing is, I just changed my oil a while back, but the filter should still be good.

The filter will have the crap still in it.. its only a few bucks, might as well change it.

Comment

i used both seafoam and an engine flush on my car...works great
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

shoots.. i'll give it a shot..

i checked the bottle it doesn't say how long to leave in. all it says is that u can use it for such and such. etc..

so i let it idle for like 15-20 min or something?? then drain oil?
                        hahahahah

Comment

No I'd take it out and drive it for like 20 miles. Then drain it out. You want to give it a chance to mix into the oil and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                          X