Engine runs better while on E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine runs better while on E.

When my car is REALLY low on gas, it seems like it runs SO much better. Ya, the lesser weight from the tank contributes, but the engine is way more responsive and feels so much better even when theres people/cargo in the car. It only happens when the tank is very low.. (reserve light on)

I've had 2 Accords and they were both like that. I never understood it.

Anyone ever notice this?

don't flame.. just answer.

No, in fact it seems like the car runs better on a fresh tank of gas to me.
    -Jay

Comment

I've never really payed attention to that, and the gas lights on both my accord's were on yesterday until I filled them up. Time to take them out and see what happens, and then do the same when they both get really low again. But the more I think about it, I know my 92 runs really well when super low.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
      91 accord lx (5spd)
      92 accord lx (5spd)
      93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

when i first saw your thread title, i was like what, does this guy stick pills in his gas tank?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i always run my tanks pretty low...so i guess i dont have much sludge on thr bottom of my gas huh?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

buy the right octane in which ur car doesn't ping, yes the less weight helps but.

it shouldn't, that dont make any sense.
            hahahahah

Comment

i never fill my tank more then half, gasoline, weighs in at 8lbs per gallon. 8 gallons is half a tank, and thats 62lbs. makes a difference.
              Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

i dont either, the car feels more balanced w/o the extra weight in the back imho

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
                  i never fill my tank more then half, gasoline, weighs in at 8lbs per gallon. 8 gallons is half a tank, and thats 62lbs. makes a difference.
                  Where did you learn how to multiply? Must be those NY schools, huh?! Last time I checked... 8x8=64...not 62!

J/K man

But what's more funny...is that no one else that posted after you even noticed the mistake! LoL.
                  Last edited by xtremeskier97; 06-11-2005, 06:05 PM.

Comment

get ready to get stranded and replacing your fuel pump soon.

Comment

never been stranded, driving around by me town to town, theres a gas station every 10 miles....we have 2 gallons left when the gas light comes on, ussually when i refill.

btw, i suck at math. too lazy to actually think it out.

Comment

I've always agreed that my car feels better when it's low on gas, and to me it's 100% weight issue.

But I have a different but somewhat related question. I've ran my car down to empty, but my gas light never came on. It's not a serious issue, because my needle works (unlike my last car, which the needle didn't work, that could be a scary car to drive sometimes ) but I know for certain now that it must not work.

So has anyone had to replace the part (I'm guessing it's a switch somewhere)? Oh but wait the light could _possibly_ be burnt out...Damn. I've never taken the dash apart, it seems like a daunting task. But if there is a wire I could supply voltage to to test if it's the bulb I might be willing to try that.

And if you guys know of some kind of "low fuel switch" I could look for and test, let me know. Sorry for the jack

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

If your low fuel light isn't coming on, it's most likely the low fuel warning light sending unit located in the gas tank. It's separate from the regular gauge, and mine went bad at 210K on my EX. You have to replace the whole unit. There is a test in the S/M to see if the bulb and circuit is working before you go removing the sending unit.

Anyways, the original topic... As far as handling... Accords have always been known to handle better with a slight load. Having a full tank of gas seems like it should help to balance our disadvantaged FWD cars a bit.

But pay attention to your cars performance when its really low on gas. The two accords I had ran better. It was wierd. My only thought (and this might sound stupid) is that since there is only a little bit of gas in the tank, it is sloshing around and becoming aerated thus sending a slightly oxygenated fuel to the engine? Its not something where a couple pounds in the tank could kill it. I'm talking instant when you fill the tank, the sweet spot disappears.

Comment

I can relate to what your saying although I don't think the theory about "oxygenation" holds any merit but I know the feeling after filling up.

btw
                            test in the S/M to see
                            what do mean by s/m...service manual?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                            where you been, is something wrong?
                            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Ya service manual. All you have to do it short two pins on the connector to the sending unit under that silver cover in the trunk and the indicator should turn on within 15 seconds. Unfortunately, mine turned on meaning new sending unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X