Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine mount polyurethane inserts? or new mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine mount polyurethane inserts? or new mounts?

man my car has 150k miles on it, and while its an excellent daily driver, im hoping to restore it this summer, with 2 jobs i have. i luv my 92 accord lx coupe, but there are problems. like rough idle, and hard gear shifting. i heard this can be solved by new mounts or inserts. i would like to know exactly WHAT ARE POLYURETHANE INSERTS! how much are mounts, how much are inserts? can i diy? or do i need to get it done professionally?

off topic:
    o man im so proud of my car for holding up this long for so many years. previous owner didnt do sh*t to maintain this car. my car's paint is heavily oxidated! the filter was charcoal (not brown) when i replaced it. oil and tranny fluid was black. i need a new radiator now cuz mines a rust board.

but hey, it has new battery, all hoses seem to be good, dis. cap isnt cracked, all wires are in good shape, and i got new platinum 4 spark plugs today if anyone cares, and yes, the old ones were corroded like hell...

overhaul? lol

Inserts run you about 20 bucks for a set of Energy Suspensions, and motor mounts will run you about 100 for a set. The energy sus kit is wonderful, have itin the ex sluts 94 and it made a huge difference. Very smooth yet very crisp throttle response.
    I live my life a quarter mile at a time. . . for those 56.7 seconds my Nike Shox are are laying the rubber to the asphalt. (Car to be born soon, should drop quarter times to about 15 secs or less SOHC all motor).

Comment

Do both...

that'll just make the idle rougher and shifts harder though... but your engine won't move around as much... and you get a nice little shake in the dash as a bonus...
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

My stock rubber mounts are damn near cracked all the way through. Would it be okay to just stick the inserts in there or should I just replace the stock mount? I'm looking for a smooth idle, I don't care about launching and wheel hop... I don't race. Would the inserts give me the same stock feeling as new rubber mounts?

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
        We got something to say!
        Police this, condemn this, damn this
        We'll be heard anyway!
        Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

i think i've asked this on here somewhere before, but do they make polyurethane mounts for cb7's? i'm talking abt the equivelant to those sold by hasport, say for crx's, they sell billet polyurethane mounts....
          Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

Originally posted by CRseX
            i think i've asked this on here somewhere before, but do they make polyurethane mounts for cb7's? i'm talking abt the equivelant to those sold by hasport, say for crx's, they sell billet polyurethane mounts....
            no sir. they make just the inserts, where you press it into ur stock mount... but ive only seen them made for the front and rear, and i dont think they make them anymroe... the rear is hard to find, but you can still get the front ones relatively easily...

thats why i recommended to steve that he fill his mounts, its hasport style but its uber cheap and DIY

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

wait wut?! if i get new mounts and polyurethane inserts, my car will idle more roughly?! the dash will shake more violently?! or were u joking?

Comment

Originally posted by kneegr0jack
                wait wut?! if i get new mounts and polyurethane inserts, my car will idle more roughly?! the dash will shake more violently?! or were u joking?
                well yeah. The stock rubber mount has holes around it, its not completely solid. You go and fill in those holes with polyurethane (a far stiffer material than rubber) its going to vibrate a lot more.

Why can I only find the front motor mount insert for Manual Transmission. I'm assuming its somehow different than an auto? I drive an auto. Anyone know where I can find a kit for all four mount inserts, or even stock replacements?
                Last edited by evol90accord; 06-03-2005, 04:18 PM.

We got something to say!
                We'll be heard anyway!
                Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Anyone?? I found out today for sure that all of my mounts are completely shot. Damn this AZ heat and dry rot. I need to replace them ALL. Anyone have any suggestions how I can get this done for less than $200?

We got something to say!
                  We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

fill up your inserts there are diy's on the forum here hold on lemme find some for you.
                    Last edited by h22sparkle; 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

w00t my thread is being used! DO NOT USE WINDOW WELD, if i even heard that word i will get pist!
                      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Ordered my stuff, will be shipped out Monday. Is 1 lb gonna be enough to do all my mounts? BTW, it was 26.66. I guess they raised their prices because of the DIY, huh?

We got something to say!
                        We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

No not really last time i ordered it was 30 bucks but i guess its about where its being shipped. OH and up when you mix it up make sure you wear gloves that shit sticks o your hands and takes like almost 3 weeks to come off. Also be sure to ducttape the shit out of 1 side of your motormount if your doin all three.

The reason why im telling you this is because you dont want the mounts sinking you want it to stay solid and harden evenly. Waterproof it with ducttape on one side. And when your done with it put it to one side and monitor it keep it away from human life and make sure it doesnt sink or get disturbed. And you have to let it cure for atleast 24 hours tops so plan ahead because yourll be without your shit without a week

Comment

i thought there were 4 mounts?? front, left, right, and rear? is there one your not supposed to fill?

We got something to say!
                            We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

who knows what sparkle is talking about, there is 4, I would personally recommend using Caution tape the good stuff, it works tons better then stupid old duck tape..
                              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
                              X