X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotty Kilmer video on replacing clutch, need opinions please

ok in this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppg_70IM_qQ,

Scotty is working on what looks like a 5th gen accord, and he separates the transmission from the engine, without lifting the engine, and proceeds to replace the throw out bearing and clutch assembly,

so my question is, Will this work on a cb7/ has anyone done this on a cb7?

thanks so much, i've had my cb7 for 10 years and its at 289,000 miles, and the clutch went out, it really blows right now
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Additionally, it makes me feel good to call someone a cunt if they don't say "thank you".

So no matter what, I win. Selfish reasons.

Yes, you can replace the clutch without pulling the engine. I don't know about just pushing the trans aside, as I have always removed the trans to replace the clutch. It doesn't look like he has much room in there to properly torque down the clutch bolts and he definitely doesn't have enough room to properly inspect the flywheel to see if it needs resurfacing or replacing.
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

you might need to remove the passenger side radius rod, but it is easy to just take the transmission out - once its unbolted, it isn't hard to wiggle it out down to the floor.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I wouldn't feel certain that I had torqued all the bolts properly doing it his way. I've had clutch components fail on me in the past, and they always trash everything in there. None of my experiences were due to installation error, only faulty parts... but the result would be the same. If an improperly torqued bolt wiggled itself loose, you could find yourself doing the job over again very soon!

Dropping the transmission is a little more work, but not that much more. It'll make access to all the components much easier, and you'll be able to get a good angle on every single bolt.
        In order to remove the transmission, do everything he did in the video, plus lowering the engine a little (by way of the driver's side mount.) This is necessary for the transmission to clear the frame. I found that removing the entire front crossmember is generally easier than trying to get just one radius rod off. Once you have the room, the transmission comes right out. Then you have all the room in the world to remove and install stuff. Wouldn't hurt to clean stuff up while it's all apart, too.

The method in the video would work. But I could see it proving to be far riskier and more frustrating than taking the time to do it properly.

Comment

Remove the transmission to do it. Remove the flywheel while you've got it apart and either replace or resurface it. While the flywheel is off, replace the rear main seal - if that is the original with that many miles, it is probably already leaking - good insurance either way; you don't want oil contaminating your new clutch.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Scotty kilmer is an idiot.

If you want true, knowledgeable advice , the only way to go is etcg. He doesn't seem to have a cb7 specific video but this should get you started. Similar ideas

https://youtu.be/93Jr4jfJ_yk
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Ok so after almost a month pf procrastination, i got it done and everything is fine!!!!

And let me tell you how much i hate having my hands covered in black grease!!!!!!!

a few days ago it took me 4 hours to try and get the tranny off, little did i know there were two bolts on the backside of the trandmission next to where the driver side countershaft comes out of the transmission, amd today i started around 6 pm and got done at 4 am!!!.

Oh and in the video in my original post, scotty just lets the trans sit on the radius rod and is able to change the clutch like that, but the 6th? Gen accord hes working on must have way more room!!!

I just took off the radius rod and after like an hour and shaking the trans it to get the shifter (on top of trans) to clear the frame we got it off, its funny how much faster it went back up and on.

then we put the bolts in to just get the threads started (and its nice how the 2 dowel pins take the sag off the bolts)and while one of us took a 19mm and a ratchet to the crank pulley and twisted it slowly, the other shook the transmission slightly to ensure the input shaft didnt bind when it went in to the clutch.

I could go on for ever about this, and ill gladly answer any questions,

BUT I JUST WANT TO END THIS POST WITH A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!!!!! EVEN THE GUY WHO THINKS SCOTTYS AN IDIOT ROFL
              Additionally, it makes me feel good to call someone a cunt if they don't say "thank you".

Comment

Turning the crank is something that took me and cp[mike] hours to figure out when we did mine years ago. We had to have his mom turn the crank while I legged from the top and he maneuvered it into position from underneath.
                Glad you got it!

Did you lower the engine? That makes getting the transmission out much easier.

Comment

Yeah, i had to replace the rear moint at the same time and i loosened the torque strut too, and i had a jack to support the engine and another one on the trans

After doing all that, now everything seems way les dificult

Comment

Working...
                  X