Seafoam in Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam in Oil?

Hey guys, I tried finding answers on here, but I couldn't find a straight answer.

I'm ready to change my oil, I saw something like put a 1/3 bottle of seafoam in, and then what? Do I just let it sit in there? Do I idle the engine for a bit? Do I drive it for a bit?

I could not get a straight answer, and I'm a little nervous putting it in my engine.
    I'm faster then a prius

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
    Hey guys, I tried finding answers on here, but I couldn't find a straight answer.

I'm ready to change my oil, I saw something like put a 1/3 bottle of seafoam in, and then what? Do I just let it sit in there? Do I idle the engine for a bit? Do I drive it for a bit?

I could not get a straight answer, and I'm a little nervous putting it in my engine.
    Preparation and Instructions:

Add 1 OUNCE to 1.5 OUNCES of Sea Foam Motor Treatment per oil quart for all 4-cycle gasoline and diesel engines.
    When ready, remove OIL FILLER CAP and pour the recommended amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment directly into the engine crankcase. Do not exceed one treatment per oil change interval.
    Though Sea Foam can be added at any time between oil change intervals, we recommend adding Sea Foam to oil crankcases 100 to 300 drive miles before changing oil and filter.
    When checking dipstick, always change oil that goes from clear to dark.

right off the seafoam website

Comment

It'll thin out the oil. Just idle it for like 15 minutes and change the oil.

Comment

I ended up putting in 4 ozs of it in, and driving it 20 miles or so. I changed my oil last night, and I think my engine feels better!
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Personally I wouldn't put seafoam into the oil because it thins the oil, and because good quality motor oil already has high detergency.
          1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
          VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
          NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
          CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

The rule of thumb used to be run seafoam for a short time... a very short time... and change the oil immediately. Some people even said to change it, run it, then change it again to get it all out.
            However, the can actually says you can run it in the oil for an entire oil change interval. At least that's what the last can I used said. Surprised me! Concerns mentioned above regarding issues that may cause are valid, however.
            I did it once by mistake (ignorance), and there were no negative consequences.

The 100-300 mile mark before an oil change would probably be the best way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              It'll thin out the oil. Just idle it for like 15 minutes and change the oil.
              I use the stuff only in the tank or for carbon burning. Seafoam in the vacuum lines, burn it off, and change/clean your spark plugs. Seafoam WILL foul your plugs if you leave it in too long.
              Last edited by F22Chris; 09-07-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

i heard of this trick to keep sludge out of your engine and evidently this guy was the single owner of a camaro did this every oil change and when they broke down the engine 30 some years later it looked like new inside. he'd get it up to temp, come home drain the oil, put in about a gallon of kerosene, let it idle 10-15 mins. drain. change filter and put in the new oil.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the seafoam will thin the oil out, but will help dislodge sludge and oil stains, and ultimately will burn off due to heat without actually hurting anything. Always believed the reason for needing to change the oil soon afterwards is twofold: one, the oil is now possibly broken down in its normal qualities and probably doesnt lube as well as it should, and two, the contaminants that it helped dislodge are still in the old oil. This isn't really backed up by any research, just the gut feeling/understanding of the properties of the components being combined.

That said, I tend to avoid putting it in the crankcase, but I have done it to two of my cars in the past without any ill effects. I usually just stick to putting it through the air intake and gas tank.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                  X