Climate control not turning off with removal of the key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate control not turning off with removal of the key

Whats up guys. Went to start my cb today and it wouldn't turn over. I suspected a dead battery. Noticed something funny upon doing some inspecting- the climate control will not shut off with removal of the key. Meaning, that I can turn the car all the way off, and the climate control will still be lit up, and I can even turn the blower on as well.

The car will not start either. Could it just be that my battery is faulty causing the electrical system to malfunction, or has the ignition switch gone bad? I have already replaced the ignition switch once, granted it was cheap advance auto garbage (had no choice at the time) or is it something else all together?

The car was running and driving perfectly prior to this. It just sat for a few days in the cold and now this has happened. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery to prevent further damage from happening.

I'm going to suspect the key on this. Does anything else work when the key is out? I'm assuming you are taking the key all the way out?

And be sure you are removing the key in the off position and not the ACC position. I know some cheap ignitions act like old worn out ones where you can physically remove the key in the ACC position when you shouldn't be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      I'm going to suspect the key on this. Does anything else work when the key is out? I'm assuming you are taking the key all the way out?

And be sure you are removing the key in the off position and not the ACC position. I know some cheap ignitions act like old worn out ones where you can physically remove the key in the ACC position when you shouldn't be able to.
      Yup, the key is fully out of the ignition, and its in the off position. And the climate control still works.

Comment

going to try working on this sunday, anyone have any other things I should try to troubleshoot?

Comment

That's a pretty nasty gremlin...
          Check your blower relay and fuse #8 in the dash fusebox.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I did some more research and came across this thread on google.

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...car-off-43590/

unfortunately, he never posted what wound up resolving the problem. I am going to grab a few relays at the junkyard tomorrow and pop them in and see if that fixes the issue

Comment

Theo, unplug the ignition from the interior fuse panel. With a recharged battery see if the climate control is still on while no ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                Theo, unplug the ignition from the interior fuse panel. With a recharged battery see if the climate control is still on while no ignition.
                great idea!! Im going to give that a try today and ill post up here with what happens. Im assuming if the climate control goes off with the switch unplugged that means the ignition switch is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                  great idea!! Im going to give that a try today and ill post up here with what happens. Im assuming if the climate control goes off with the switch unplugged that means the ignition switch is bad?

exactly lmao. Yeah try hitting the ignition switch maybe something is stuck. If that's the case maybe spray some lubrication in the key hole.

Comment

Ok boys, got the battery charged up and tried the following things:

1). I verified that ONLY the climate control was working with the ignition on off and the key out. Other things like defroster, radio, windows etc do not work with the key out. So it is only the blower that is the issue.
                    2). I pulled the ignition switch from the fuse box. The climate control light still stayed on, and the blower was still functional.
                    3). Next, I went ahead and swapped out the heater relay (30 amp) under the hood fuse box with a known good one. Light stayed on, and the blower was still functional.
                    4). I read somewhere that the cooling fan relay might have something to do with this. So I pulled it out completely (light and blower still stayed on) and replaced it (light and blower still stayed on)
                    5). I pulled the blower fuse #8 in the interior fuse box, light and blower still stayed on.
                    6). I read online that the a/c relays may have something to do with it. I disconnected both of those. Light and blower still stayed on.
                    7). Finally, I pulled any fuse that could have something to do with the heating and cooling. A/c condersor fan, radiator fan, heat etc. the light and blower still stayed on.

The only thing that will turn the climate control completely off is disconnecting the battery. Im really at a loss here guys. I consulted my factory service manual (oem Honda) and they say to check the blower motor and the relay. Where is the blower motor relay located? looking at the diagram its not in the interior or under the hood fuse box. Is it next to the blower motor?

Comment

bump any ideas

Comment

The blower relay should be near the dash fuse box. If removing the fuse didn't do anything, it may be hard wired to battery power somewhere.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

did you hook up any new accessories? maybe some aftermarket wiring is back-feeding power up from somewhere further down the line.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            The blower relay should be near the dash fuse box. If removing the fuse didn't do anything, it may be hard wired to battery power somewhere.
                            I will check that out, thanks!

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                            did you hook up any new accessories? maybe some aftermarket wiring is back-feeding power up from somewhere further down the line.
                            Nothing recently. The last thing I hooked up was my foglights and that was back in march 2015 and this issue didn't start until this week

Comment

The blower relay is on the blower. Which is under the dash on the right. Maybe it has a short somehow. If you take your lower kick panel off and look up you might be able to access it.

Comment

Working...
                              X