Burnt Smell/smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Smell/smoke

Need some help on my 90 F22A1 bad anyone please feel free to post their opnions really desperate in need of help. Past few weeks I've noticed a burnt smell and smoke coming from under my hood right near the area of the exhaust manifold it does not smell like oil it's ether rubber or electrical it literally smells like something is cooking on my engine and burning. It's gotten worse pretty progressively to the point where you can see a little bit of smoke when stopped. Seems to be worse on longer trips. The only thing that's been touched in that area recently is the automatic transmission shift solenoid changed the gaskets on them and the oxygen sensor was replaced over a year ago. Don't see any leaks coming from under my car other then that it runs great with no problems. Thank you in advanced to anyone who helps.

Really need some help on this guys. I plan on taking the heat shield off tomorrow and checking it further but as of right now I rev it up then let it go back down to idle it smokes. It's not a exhaust leak because you would be able to see the smoke all the time including on cold starts + hear it. this doesn't happen til it gets to fully warmed temperature and you have to be driving around. It's coming from right around the oxygen sensor under the heat shield the only thing I can explain it is a burnt smell. It's not white thick smoke it's just like little puff's of white smoke and it's not constant. But smells horribly burnt. You can smell it in the heater too when it's on exterior air.

Comment

is one of the radiator fans going bad? they can burn out which would lead to burnt wiring and plastic smells. Maybe try disconnecting the fan and power it with 12volts with the rest of the car turned off.

Otherwise I would remove the heat shield, start the car from cold, let it sit and warm up, and just stare at the engine until it started smoking, and really try to pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yeah that's what i'm going to do tomorrow. It's definitely under the heat shield. I believe the radiator fans are fine they both work as they should but it's driving me crazy this burnt smell wonder what could be smoking from under there though. I did have a code for a oxygen sensor that I just put in there within the last year but would that smoke? BTW thanks for replying Mike

Comment

Is the valve cover leaking oil at the front? That would flow down the front of the head to the manifold under the heat shield. Sounds like you're still running the original manifold; they have been known to crack, particularly where the cast tubes come together; but I wouldn't expect much actual smoke from a crack. Maybe a leak at the manifold to flex pipe joint? Getting smoke out the tailpipe at the same time? Was it you who had bubbles in your overflow tank? Coolant leak into a cylinder will generate steam in the exhaust. Smell like cooked anti-freeze?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks Fleet for posting. Yes it was actually on my 10th anniversary edition I was having antifreeze problems but that's resolved now. This problem is on my 90. Actually just checked the valve cover gasket no leaking at all + inspected the exhaust manifold it's not cracked or anything not even any signs of hairline cracks. I've been driving a bit in it today and it seems to be going away. I have no loss of oil or antifreeze or even transmission fluid because I just checked it so it's not leaking anything. Still going to try and figure out what it is though it hasn't happened a lot today. Maybe it was just something I went over on the road idk LOL.

Comment

Working...
            X