Question about Rod Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Rod Bearings

I have recently tore my motor apart and now putting it back together. My question is, do the bearings and rod ends/caps go in a certain order? I kinda lost track after tearing into a lot of things and moving stuff around. I purchased new bearings,when me and a buddy torque them down with the correct specs, the crank seizes. These bearings are the first rod cloesest to the pump. It's where the crank wont turn unless a lot of force is used. We didn't try and force the crank to turn, I didn't feel like messing up new bearings. The bearings/rods are lubed and clean, nothing chunky in between. I've searched the forums and haven't found anything on the order the bearings or rod caps go. Can someone please lead me in the right direction?

Please and Thank you!
    For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

The bearings are generally differing thicknesses, so if you put a thicker bearing into a main or rod that uses a thinner bearing, then that can cause your issue. And you have to keep the same end caps where they came from.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Damn you fuxked up man.. The rod ends have to stay with their respective rods. Other than that you're going to now need plastiguage and a micrometer. Honestly what you should do in order to get out your predicament is take it to a machine shop and tell them what you did. With their experience they should be able to save your ass easily...if thats not feasable your learning curve is going to need to a sharp increase. Next time keep track of everything and keep everything in order and you'll be alright. Good luck.

Oh and I hope you didn't put the pistons back in all willy nilly unordered too. They need to go back where they came from also :-\ look for the factory service manual PDF online and you'll see whats going on. You might even be able to formulate a solution on your own for the FUBAR situation ur in. Don't get discouraged and just go a head with it or you'll need a new short block before you get out of the driveway.
      Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-19-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
        Damn you fuxked up man.. The rod ends have to stay with their respective rods. Other than that you're going to now need plastiguage and a micrometer. Honestly what you should do in order to get out your predicament is take it to a machine shop and tell them what you did. With their experience they should be able to save your ass easily...if thats not feasable your learning curve is going to need to a sharp increase. Next time keep track of everything and keep everything in order and you'll be alright. Good luck.

Oh and I hope you didn't put the pistons back in all willy nilly unordered too. They need to go back where they came from also :-\ look for the factory service manual PDF online and you'll see whats going on. You might even be able to formulate a solution on your own for the FUBAR situation ur in. Don't get discouraged and just go a head with it or you'll need a new short block before you get out of the driveway.
        I didn't drop the pistons, they are in their correct place. I figured I screwed up. I'll figure it out from here.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
          The bearings are generally differing thicknesses, so if you put a thicker bearing into a main or rod that uses a thinner bearing, then that can cause your issue. And you have to keep the same end caps where they came from.
          Say if I switched them around until they didn't rub, would the car be okay having different rod caps, or do they absolutely need to be with the rod they were with?

Bearings are new, and the motor only has 133K. Long story short, brand new oil pump vacuum studs broke because of being cheap causing oil not to pump and started to wear old bearings.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

The sides of the big end (BE) of the rods should have a stamp on them. Usually this would allow you to match the caps back to the rods correctly.

What bearings did you buy?

The block has already been blueprinted from the factory and the bearing specs for each rod and main journal is stamped on the block. If you just bought standard size bearings this could also be the reason for the stuck crank. They may not be the correct sizes.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              The sides of the big end (BE) of the rods should have a stamp on them. Usually this would allow you to match the caps back to the rods correctly.

What bearings did you buy?

The block has already been blueprinted from the factory and the bearing specs for each rod and main journal is stamped on the block. If you just bought standard size bearings this could also be the reason for the stuck crank. They may not be the correct sizes.
              I bought standard size bearings, where is this stamp on the block?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

also if the bearings arent too old, you may be able to still see the color strip on the side. combined with the etched number on the side of the cap that spans across to the rod, you may be able to match them up.
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  also if the bearings arent too old, you may be able to still see the color strip on the side. combined with the etched number on the side of the cap that spans across to the rod, you may be able to match them up.
                  I did see the colors. I'll check that when I get home today. I didn't think about that.

Checked the colors, they are faded...
                  Last edited by BreckAConner; 08-19-2014, 02:40 PM.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

My friend was saying that there's a tolerance for the bearings, and I need to know that so I can buy the right plastigauge?

Anyone know what it is, and what size plastigauge I need?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Connecting rod bearing clearance
                      0.021mm - 0.049mm (0.0008" - 0.0019")
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                        Connecting rod bearing clearance
                        0.021mm - 0.049mm (0.0008" - 0.0019")
                        Thanks soooooo much Ghost, your awesome!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

I can't find in my local part stores a plastigauge that small. Am I missing something?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

It's the green plastigauge that you want.
                            Originally posted by Mishakol129
                            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                              It's the green plastigauge that you want.
                              Okay, that's what I thought. I went to the store and they told me that they didn't have anything that could measure that small. Which they handed me the green one that was the smallest. I decided not to get it just incase it was the wrong one.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X