AC belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC belt

The outer belt is just for the ac compressor right? Can I cut this off considering my ac doesn't work anyway?

Also I know on ford explorers the AC compressor has an electric clutch that engages when the AC is turned on. But on these hondas it almost looks like it's on all the time.

Wondering if I could just remove the belt , to either gain a half a horse power or another 200ft of gas millage.

Or if the AC is easy to fix that might be cool (lame joke)

A/C compressors on our cars also activated by electro-magnetic-clutch.
    A&P-IA

Comment

So I can remove the belt then or....?

Comment

If you wanna cut it, might as well do that.

I don't think the clutch on your compressor is engaged. It is not robbing that much HP out of your engine, if any.
        Last edited by oyajicool; 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
          So I can remove the belt then or....?
          Make sure you find a smaller one then. The alternator still needs power.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
            Make sure you find a smaller one then. The alternator still needs power.
            there's two belts......

Comment

The 'outer' belt as you say, is for the power steering. The 'inner' belt is for the alternator and A/C compressr. The power steerng pump is the top unit,then alternator, then the ac comprssor is on te bottom,when standing in frontof the car looking at the engine. If you dont want the ac to be driven anymore you need to remove that outer belt, remove the inner belt and install a new one for just the alternator, then reinstall the outer belt.
              Last edited by Shadow1992; 05-30-2013, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Wow 7 posts in and someone actually read "OUTER Belt"

OP - As above, If you cut the outer belt off you will lose power steering, since the outer belt ONLY runs the power steering.

The inner belt runs the A/C compressor and alternator.
                As Geoff said - If you want to remove the A/C you will need to get a smaller belt to still run the alternator.

If you are only wanting to cut the belt to make power - There is no point, just leave the A/C turned off.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Can I cut the outer belt also considering my power steering doesn't work either?

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                    Can I cut the outer belt also considering my power steering doesn't work either?
                    Why don't you just fix the P/S.

However, yes you can cut the belt.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X