Steam cleaning the underbody to prevent rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam cleaning the underbody to prevent rust

I read in the manual or warranty that the underbody should be steam cleaned once a year. I would figure when winter's over. But, I doubt most do it.
    Could this be the reason we rust soo bad? I know it's the water and salt, and the rubber stuff on the fenders holding it all in, but if it was steam cleaned after winter each year there would be no problem, right?

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
    I read in the manual or warranty that the underbody should be steam cleaned once a year. I would figure when winter's over. But, I doubt most do it.
    Could this be the reason we rust soo bad? I know it's the water and salt, and the rubber stuff on the fenders holding it all in, but if it was steam cleaned after winter each year there would be no problem, right?
    With the way the quarterpanels are designed, even if you steamed them each winter, you would probably still rust, its about water getting trapped, and the panels getting eaten from the inside out. Even if a car is parked, and in a place with high humidity rust can still form.

Also in places where its always below freezing during the winter, and they use salt, its better for you to leave your car outside, with everything frozen on it (if required use a block heater), than to pull it into the garage to warm up, have all that snow/ice melt off, which creates the perfect environment for the rust to form.

Going to a car wash with an undercarraige cleaner several times a year is more practical, especially the closer you live to saltwater, or if you ever drive on the beach.

On another note I took the Honda word badge off my trunk 5 years ago, and found some surface rust around one of the holes (some of the paint came up with it), I just waxed over it, and it hasn't gotten any worse. So water repellents for problematic areas might also be something beneficial to look at. Then there are some electronic anti-rust systems (my car came with a 'Rust Evader' that a previous owner installed when I bought it at 116k, i'm pretty sure its helped [slowed down the formation of rust], but it hasn't stopped it from forming completely).
    Last edited by cloudasc; 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
      Then there are some electronic anti-rust systems (my car came with a 'Rust Evader' that a previous owner installed when I bought it at 116k, i'm pretty sure its helped [slowed down the formation of rust], but it hasn't stopped it from forming completely).
      I've never heard of this, but it sounds almost like a hydrolysis system for your car.
      If that's the case, make sure you find the sacrificial anodes.

Anyways, I go to the car wash specifically for underbody wash.
      I do most of it myself, and wax most of the time.

I particularly like "Nu finish".
      They aren't joking about it lasting a year. But I also do other waxes on top of it.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

The rust evader was preinstalled I'm guess by the original owner, and it has two anodes on the shock tower areas on my car.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 04-07-2013, 11:41 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
          The rust evader was preinstalled I'm guess by the original owner, and it has two anodes on the shock tower areas on my car.
          CCan you explain how such a thing works?
          visit vgruk

Comment

Ships use that technology to attract corrosion to the anodes so it doesn't go to anywhere else on the ships.

I personally never knew they put it in the car.

But what is rust? I'm from California.....hahah
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
            X